Asp net 1.1. how long?

Fabrice

Hello

I have a web application under framework 1.1.
It is hard to migrate under framework 2.0 or 3.x because our application
does not work out of the box with those.

So just a question. Do you think that we can stay under framework 1.1 and
for how long ?

thanks
fabrice

Jonathan Wood

I guess it depends how many of your customers you want to have to download a
huge framework less and less likely to already be on their system. In fact,
over time, it'll be a version of the framework that will be harder and
harder to get.

What kind of problems are you having running it under newer versions?

Jonathan

Joy

Hi Fabrice,

Normally, you should not have any problem in migrating an application built
on lower framework to a higher framework, this is because often with new
release of a Framework additional things are added and few necessary changes
are made to existing APIs.

When changes are made to existing APIs/ features it is referred to as
"Breaking Changes", so your existing 1.1 framework application is only going
to break if you have used any of those features which either have been
modified or dis-continued in the newer frameworks.

Will you post the kind of error(s) that you are getting?

You can definitely stay under 1.1 for as long as you want. Microsoft is
unlikely to dis-continue the older frameworks.

regards,
Joy

Joy

Hi Mark,

When i stated that "Microsoft is unlikely to dis-continue v1.1" i never
meant to say that Support will be available for eternity, however i meant to
say that people who already have applications built on can still choose to
stay with 1.1 if migrating to a newer framework is not feasible.

regards,
Joy