Using .NET 2.0/3.0 component in ASP.NET 1.1

Rasheed

Hi,

We have an ASP.NET 1.1 application which uses .NET framework 1.1. The
application is hosted in IIS 5.0 win 2000. We want to write a .NET 2.0
component (which leverages .NET 2.0 Framework, Ex: Dataset Bulk Update
feature) and access it from ASP.NET 1.1. Is this possible? If so, please
provide inputs on how this can be done or direct me to the appropriate
resources?

Note: We have both the framework installed in the web server.

Appreciate your help!

Rasheed

Scott M.

This is not possible. If you use a .NET 2.0 component, you need the 2.0
..NET Framework to run the applicaiton.

Rasheed

Thanks Scott. We do have the .NET 2.0 framework installed in addition to
..NET 1.1. Are you saying.NET 2.0 components cannot be accessed from ASP.NET
1.1 (.NET 1.1) application?

Thanks,
Rasheed

Phil H

Thanks Scott.  We do have the .NET 2.0 framework installed in addition to
.NET 1.1. Are you saying.NET 2.0 components cannot be accessed from ASP.NET
1.1 (.NET 1.1) application?

Thanks,
Rasheed

Rasheed

You cannot expect ASP.NET v 1.1 to recognise and handle new components
introduced in v 2.0 The latter was developed ouside of the design
limitations of v 1.1 (it is reasonable to assume the ASP.NET v 1.1
developer's brief did not extend to unforseen enhancements), hence the
introduction of a new version of ASP.NET.

Had you put the question the other way round then the answer would be
Yes, ASP.NET v 2 is backward compatible with v 1.1 but that's only
because it was developed with full knowledge of the previous version.

Rasheed

Thanks Phill. This helps.

My bad, I though it may be possible to “configure†a specific component of
..NET 1.1 application to use .NET 2.0 framework (which is what we want as we
do not want to migrate the entire application to .NET 2.0 platform). I guess
a single process/domain can use only one target framework at a time.

Thanks,
Rasheed

Scott M.

The .NET Framework consists of a set of base classes and a Common Language
Runtime. The various CLR's are not forward compatible as version 1.1's
runtime would not understand something introduced in the 2.0 Framework.

If you wish to use any portion of 2.0, you must upgrade your application to
be an ASP .NET 2.0 applicaiton. The good news is that if you do migrate the
1.1 application to 2.0, everything that used to work will still work as 2.0
is backward compatible with 1.1, even though 1.1 is not forward compatible
with 2.0. If you already have the 2.0 Framework installed on your servers,
this is going to be your best bet.

-Scott

Rasheed

Thanks Scot. Appreciate your feedback.