ASP.NET 2.0 Forms Authentication - not always redirecting toLogin.aspx after session timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by alovhaug, May 16, 2008.

  1. alovhaug

    alovhaug Guest

    Here's my situation: I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application using Forms
    Authentiation. The user successfully logs in, then walks away from
    their computer so that the session times out. (No problem.) When they
    return to their computer (not realizing their timed out), and click on
    a button on the page, sometimes it will take take them back to the
    login.aspx to make them log-in again, which is PERFECT.

    However, sometimes they are either getting the message "Internet
    Explorer cannot display the webpage" (if using IE) or "The connection
    was reset" (if using Firefox). This seems to happen before a postback
    to the server, as if I am debugging using VS2008 breakpoints are never
    hit (even in the global.asax.vb). It does not seem to be consistent -
    a button that will work the first time around will break the next
    time.

    I had hoped that it was something unique to my development
    environment, but my testers on a completely different server are also
    experiencing this. I've done all kinds of google searches, but these
    particular messages cover a host of problems and no pages I've looked
    at so far seem related. I thought perhaps it was a problem with a
    third party control, but I can reproduce this with a simple page with
    no controls but a single button and some text.

    Any suggestions? I've run out of ideas.

    alovhaug, May 16, 2008