asp.net 2.0 treeview is slow

Billy Zhang

Now we have to load the whole company's organizational relationships into one
TreeView which has at lest 6~7 layer and including 300~400 nodes.In every
node,there is a checkbox.

So we need following cascade selected effect:

1. Every time we select one node,all his child nodes' state will be changed
into selected automatically(if this node has child node).

2 . Every time we select one node,his father nodes' state will be be changed
into selected automatically.

Now we load all these nodes into TreeView in PageLoad event.And implement
the cascade selected effect above by using TreeNodeCheckChanged event.In the
TreeNodeCheckChanged event,we will be able to find the selected node,and then
we can find his father node and son nodes to change their state.

But now we find out that because of the number of the nodes is so big that
the treeview is very slow to loaded all the nodes.

How to speed the treeview performance?

Thanks,
-Billy Zhang

How can we promote this TreeView's performance.

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Good afternoon, Mr. Zhang. Welcome to Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service!
My name is Jialiang Ge [MSFT]. I will help you with this issue.

According to the description, you register the "TreeNodeCheckChanged" event
for asp:TreeView control, and implement the effect of cascaded selection in
the server-side code. For each change of the checked state, a page
postback will happen to run the TreeNodeCheckChanged event handler, and
reload the 300~400 nodes into the treeview. This process, as you have
noticed, consumes a lot of performance. In order to improve the
performance, we may considering running the "cascaded selection" logic on
the client side. In this way, no postback or reload will happen, and it can
bring a very smooth use experience to our users.

In order to well demonstrate the client-side scripts for your feature
requests, I have built a sample website. You can download it with Outlook
Express or Windows Mail.

The keys in the sample project are as follows:

1. we have the registration of a client-side event "onclick" in
asp:TreeView control:
<asp:TreeView ID="TreeView1" runat="server" onclick="CheckEvent()"
DataSourceID="SiteMapDataSource1" ShowCheckBoxes="All">
When a checkbox is selected, it will trigger the javascript function
"CheckEvent" running on client-side.

2. Main javascript functions:
function public_GetParentByTagName(element, tagName)
{
var parent = element.parentNode;
var upperTagName = tagName.toUpperCase();

while (parent && (parent.tagName.toUpperCase() != upperTagName))
{
parent = parent.parentNode ? parent.parentNode :
parent.parentElement;
}
return parent;
}
// set the parent node to be checked
function setParentChecked(objNode)
{
var objParentDiv = public_GetParentByTagName(objNode,"div");
if(objParentDiv==null || objParentDiv == "undefined")
{
return;
}
var objID = objParentDiv.getAttribute("ID");
objID = objID.substring(0,objID.indexOf("Nodes"));
objID = objID+"CheckBox";
var objParentCheckBox = document.getElementById(objID);
if(objParentCheckBox==null || objParentCheckBox == "undefined")
{
return;
}
if(objParentCheckBox.tagName!="INPUT" && objParentCheckBox.type ==
"checkbox")
return;
objParentCheckBox.checked = true;
setParentChecked(objParentCheckBox);
}
// set the children to be unchecked.
function setChildUnChecked(divID)
{
var objchild = divID.children;
var count = objchild.length;
for(var i=0;i<objchild.length;i++)
{
var tempObj = objchild;
if(tempObj.tagName=="INPUT" && tempObj.type == "checkbox")
{
tempObj.checked = false;
}
setChildUnChecked(tempObj);
// set the children to be checked
function setChildChecked(divID)
{
var objchild = divID.children;
var count = objchild.length;
for(var i=0;i<objchild.length;i++)
{
var tempObj = objchild;
if(tempObj.tagName=="INPUT" && tempObj.type == "checkbox")
{
tempObj.checked = true;
}
setChildChecked(tempObj);
// trigger the event
function CheckEvent()
{
var objNode = event.srcElement;
if(objNode.tagName!="INPUT" || objNode.type!="checkbox")
return;
if(objNode.checked==true)
{
setParentChecked(objNode);
var objID = objNode.getAttribute("ID");
var objID = objID.substring(0,objID.indexOf("CheckBox"));
var objParentDiv = document.getElementById(objID+"Nodes");
if(objParentDiv==null || objParentDiv == "undefined")
{
return;
}
setChildChecked(objParentDiv);
}
else
{
var objID = objNode.getAttribute("ID");
var objID = objID.substring(0,objID.indexOf("CheckBox"));
var objParentDiv = document.getElementById(objID+"Nodes");
if(objParentDiv==null || objParentDiv == "undefined")
{
return;
}
setChildUnChecked(objParentDiv);

Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything else.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

Billy Zhang

Thank you, you can close this.

Jialiang Ge said:
[...]

You are welcome. I'm glad to help you.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Treeview Performance

Hello

I am having treeview performance issue. I noticed in my application(consists of more than 50,000 nodes) when i am trying to add the nodes in the selected node changed event of treeview.
Up to some limit i can add the node with out effecting performance after that it taking lot of time to add the nodes.

My question is
1) Is there any limit for adding nodes in the treeview?
2)If having, is there any alternate solution.
3)if not, than where i am doing the mistake.