"ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site" or "AJAX Control Toolkit Web Site"?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mark4asp, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. mark4asp

    mark4asp Guest

    Which should I use:
    1. "ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site" or
    2. "AJAX Control Toolkit Web Site"?

    In the first, controls from the control toolkit start as:
    <cc1:SomeControl></cc1>

    In the 2nd, those controls are: <ajaxToolkit:SomeControl></
    ajaxToolkit>

    As soon as I have entered the first control from the AJAX toolkit to a
    type 1 website, I notice that the code in the /bin folder is bloated.

    Am I right in thinking that the main (only?) advantage of type 1 is
    that one doesn't need to use the Ajax toolkit (and may save oneself
    the trouble of (automatically) adding the supporting dlls to one's
    site?

    I am inclined to use type 2 because:
    a) I'll probably always use at least one control from the toolkit,
    b) I think <ajaxToolkit:SomeControl></ajaxToolkit> is more meaningful
    than <cc1:SomeControl></cc1>,
    c) I have gigabytes of spare room on my server anyway.

    mark4asp, Mar 23, 2007

  2. Type 2 contains everything that Type 1 contains plus a bunch of extra
    controls and stuff.
    So if you want to use some of the extra the extra controls (and it sounds
    like you do) then choose Type 2.
    If you're concerned about bloat (which it sounds like you're not) and you
    don't need the extra controls then choose Type 1.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Mar 24, 2007