ASP.NET AJAX: problems with UpdatePanel, GridView & RowCommand in Firefox

jrnail23

I have a user control which contains an UpdatePanel, which contains a
MultiView inside, with a GridView in one of the views.
In my GridView, I have a ButtonField which is supposed to trigger a
server-side operation, using the RowCommand functionality.

In IE, this all works great, but in Firefox (v2.0.0.6), clicking the
above mentioned ButtonField fires off two similar AJAX requests, which
is causing errors in my server-side code.

Background Info: the gridview displays a list of external contact
records, so the user can link to the contact record currently
displayed on the page (by clicking a ButtonField in the GridView and
handling the RowCommand event). During the process of adding the
link, my server-side code checks to see if the external contact has
already been linked to one of our contacts. Once the link has been
successfully created, the external contact's personal info is
displayed in a details view. On the other hand, if the external
contact has been linked to one of our contacts already, the user is
prompted to either cancel the operation, delete the existing link &
continue, or continue by allowing a duplicate link to be created.
Once the user selects the appropriate option, a details view is
displayed showing the newly linked external contact's personal info
(if the operation is cancelled, the user is returned to a search
criteria form).

In IE, all this works as expected, but in Firefox, when I click my
ButtonField, the server-side code executes as expected, adding the
link. The weird part is that after adding the link, it tries to add
the link again, which of course brings up my user prompt to handle the
potential duplicate. From working with FireBug and debugging in
VS2005, it looks like two separate AJAX postbacks are being fired off
at pretty much the same time, with one arriving at the server before
the 2nd one (the first one is creating the contact link as expected,
and the 2nd one is getting caught on my duplicate-checking user
prompt). I'd imagine that if I didn't have that duplicate-checking
user, this thing could go into an infinite loop.

Does anyone know why or how this is happening? Is this a known issue
with ASP.NET AJAX or Firefox? Is there anyway to work-around this
issue?