ASP.NET and Macromedia Contribute best practices?

blueskies

Can anyone using both ASP.NET and MM Contribute provide some pointers
or links to best practices when implementing a website with content
provided by end users?

Thanks for any suggestions or links.

clintonG

Contribute is practically useless when not using DreamWeaver to manage page
layout. FrontPage can be used with marginal results as can other page layout
methodologies. The value is in DreamWeaver which generates the templates
Contribute needs and uses to mask regions which can be edited and by whom.
The security model is also lame noting I've forgotten the details in that
context. Let's just say security was and probably remains an afterthought.
Since ASP.NET applications output HTML at runtime the same limitations will
apply. The "editability" of a page is entirely dependent upon the template
syntax and grammar Contribute requires and supports. There is no API I am
aware of or I would assume there would be developers swooping into the
vacuum.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

blueskies

It would seemt to me that you could insert the required Dreamweaver
"tags" to enable using an ASPX page to be modified using Contribute. I
wonder if anyone has any experience with this. I have converted a few
Dreamweaver generated HTML pages to ASPX for a client, the only problem
I ran into was theTemplate updater munges the ASP.NET Page directive
unless you put a comment after it.

I was just hoping to run into some one that has done this on a larger
scale who might have tips on gotchas.

Thanks!