ASP.NET cross-browser compatible

Ed

When writing my ASP.NET C# programs, how can I ensure my UI and windows
forms are cross-platform compatible? My users are on Windows IE 6, Mac OSX
Safari and Mac OSX IE 5.

What are some of the techniques to follow?

Thank you.

dan.c.roth

Hi

You have as problem as the DOMs for IE6, IE5(Mac) and Safari are
different.

So

1) No VBScript

2) Try do no client side code.

3) Test you app in Safari.

Good luck.

Daniel Roth
MCSD.NET

Kevin Spencer

Hi Ed,

There is no easy or simple answer to this. It has been an issue with all web
developers for a very long time, well at least as long as there have been
more than one browser.

With the advent of new HTML entities such as CSS and XHTML, the situation
has improved, but only to a limited extent. The problem is, browser
manufacturers deal with all the same sorts of political and competition
issues that the rest of us have to deal with. As a result, browsers handle
HTML, CSS, etc. in slightly different ways.

Your best bet is to get familiar with the most popular browsers among your
target audience, and build to accomodate them. IMHO, using CSS is an
excellent way to go about this. You can separate your style attributes from
your HTML by using CSS classes, and write your style sheets to accomodate
different browser types. This way, as browsers change, you don't have to
change your web app and ASPX pages, only your style sheets.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Ed

Thanks Kevin.

Is there any classes or libraries that I can include in my ASP.NET C#
project that will smartly translate all front-end calls and produce
consistent UI look & feel on all client browsers?