ASP.NET debugger shows wrong line

Guest

I have a regular ASP application which I'm trying to port to ASP.NET
One ASPX page is ready and loads correctly.
I put a breakpoint into this page and hit F5.
Debugger opens IE and gets to the breakpoint
Now when I use F10 or F11 in order to continue debugging, the debugger advances to wrong lines (stops even on empty lines

I use Windows XP, IE6 and .NET Studio 7.1.3088 upon .NET Framework 1.1.432

PLEASE HELP!

Lots of thanks in advance

DalePres

There's a mismatch between the pdb file, the source file, and the executable
file. Recompile and redeploy the app using Visual Studio to deploy rather
than just copying files. You could copy them yourself but if you use Visual
Studio to deploy you're more sure to get all the right files into all the
right places.

Dale

Anton said:
I have a regular ASP application which I'm trying to port to ASP.NET.
One ASPX page is ready and loads correctly.
I put a breakpoint into this page and hit F5.
Debugger opens IE and gets to the breakpoint.
Now when I use F10 or F11 in order to continue debugging, the debugger
advances to wrong lines (stops even on empty lines)

Guest

Thanks for the info.

ONLY YESTERDAY IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!

The situation is as following
- I had a bunch of ASP files in directory Sample.Net. All of them with ASPX extensio
- I created a new project under Sample.Ne
- When I (re)build it creates subdir Bin where it places PDB and DL
- When I debug it gets only to the first file where I put a breakpoin
- Then when I use F11 to step into a function (defined in another included ASPX file) it continues to travel into the same (first) ASPX but on lines where the function is defined into the other ASPX

Therefore I have nothing to deploy, it is the same directory. I tried to delete PDB and DLL -> doesn't help

Rebuilds/resets/reboots/reconfigurations, even prayers do not help either

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Are the two files named the same thing, but living in different folders?

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

Anton said:
Thanks for the info.

ONLY YESTERDAY IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!

The situation is as following:
- I had a bunch of ASP files in directory Sample.Net. All of them with ASPX extension
- I created a new project under Sample.Net
- When I (re)build it creates subdir Bin where it places PDB and DLL
- When I debug it gets only to the first file where I put a breakpoint
- Then when I use F11 to step into a function (defined in another included
ASPX file) it continues to travel into the same (first) ASPX but on lines
where the function is defined into the other ASPX.
Therefore I have nothing to deploy, it is the same directory. I tried to
delete PDB and DLL -> doesn't help.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Is that a known bug? We ran into that the other day where the VS.NET
debugger seemed to be finding a file with the same name but from a different
project.

Guest

No all files have different names. There is a subfolder, but it has no files with the same names as files in the application root folder.

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

I believe that is a known issue; certainly, I've seen it often enough.

I've never heard of it happening when the files aren't named the same but
just in different folders.