baffled by inability to debug asp.net page

Guest

Hi folks,
I will try my best to clarify what should be a simple thing to solve:
I've got XP pro sp2 VS 2005 Team system and .Net 2.0 with ASP.net and C#

I've got the compilation <debug="true"> in web.config (and this doesn't work
even if I have @page debug="true")

when I run any individual page in the browser with 'View in Browser'
Shortcut menu entry, I place breakpoints in the code part of the page and
they are never tripped off, i.e debugging never works

the only way I can debug is by setting that particular page 'as start page'
and pressing F5.

is this a feature?

I only ask because since they don't provide manuals with software anymore
(great move) I have no way of knowing...oh and MSDN help stalled 1/2 way
several times when I did my installation

finally when it does work and the breakpoint is alighted on, I find that I
can't type commands to query my variables in the output window, it tells me
it's read-only, the programming gods have it in for me today.

any thoughts?

Regards and many thanks in advance,
CharlesA

Aidy

is this a feature?

Yes, that feature is the same as starting up IE and looking at the page.
For breakpoints to hit, the IDE (VisualStudio) needs to be attached to a
running process.

When you press F5, a process is started in IIS to run the site and
VisualStudio attaches the debugger to this process. You can do this
yourself by using Debug->Processes and selecting an appropriate asp.net
process that is running your site.
finally when it does work and the breakpoint is alighted on, I find that I
can't type commands to query my variables in the output window, it tells
me
it's read-only, the programming gods have it in for me today.

I find the command window works for basic variables, but fails for anything
remotely complicated. It is quite annoying and not much use.

Hans Kesting

finally when it does work and the breakpoint is alighted on, I find
that I can't type commands to query my variables in the output window,
it tells me it's read-only, the programming gods have it in for me
today.

any thoughts?

Regards and many thanks in advance,
CharlesA

There is also an "Immediate" window, where you *can* query your variables.
Also there is a QuickWatch window, where you can explore more complicated
variables.

Hans Kesting

Guest

thx v much hans and thx Aidy, I always appreciate any help I can get

only in Visual Studio 2005 TE I cannot find the immediate window anywhere,
are you sure it still exists Hans?

Regards,
CharlesA

BusEdge

There is also an "Immediate" window, where you *can* query your variables.
Also there is a QuickWatch window, where you can explore more complicated
variables.

Hans Kesting

I use the Autos and Watch windows almost exclusively. Find under Debug
Windows > Autos, or Debug > Windows > Watch 1. The Watch windows let
you type objects and variables and the Autos window shows you
currently active objects and variables.

-Brandon
http://www.busedge.com