asp.net debugging fails after installing whidbey

Guest

I am running windows xp with both vs2003/.net 1.1 and the whidbey/.net 2.x
beta 1. Since i installed whidbey, i have been able to neither run (F5) my
apps nor attach to the aspnet worker process for my vs2003 apps. This is
obviously a really big problem and i'm sure that somebody must have also run
into it by now. Does anyone know how to fix this??

thanks,

_howard

Guest

This is a known bug. I talked to someone at microsoft about it and he said
that the only way he knows of is to never have installed vs2005. Keep in
mind this is beta software and it does stuff like this often.

Hugo Wetterberg

That is probably wrong, check out the asp.net tab in the property dialog
for you site in iis. Change from .NET 2.0 to 1.1 to be able to debug your
web application with 2003. The default setting is 2.0, and 2003 cannot
debug 2.0 apps.

/Hugo

Guest

Hi Hugo - thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, this new feature does not seem to work yet. When i switch
back to 1.1, apply the settings and close the dialog, i still get the "unable
to start debugging on the web server" error, and additionally, when i then go
back and look at the asp.net tab for my virtual, i can see that it was reset
to the 2.0 version of the framework.

_howard

Sayed Hashimi

Howard,

If you want to be able to debug between the two versions, you need to
register the specific version of IIS each time. That is, if you
installed Whidbey then the version of aspnet that ships with Whidbey
(called Cassini) is currently registered and so you need to register
the 2003 version before you can debug. You can do that by running
"aspnet_regiis.exe –i" in the install folder at:

%windir%\Microsoft.net\framework\v1.1*\
%windir%\Microsoft.net\framework\v2*\

sayed