Debugging fails on Vista for Localhost

John Kotuby

Hi all,
I need to use debugging on the LocalHost on my Vista Premious machine using
VS2005 and ASP.NET 2.0 so that all my images resolve properly.
I am able to acomplish this type of debugging on my older Windows XP machine
with no problem whatsoever, using the default IIS settings and copying to
entire website to excatly the same locaion on the C drive. Thank goodness I
did not get rid of my older development machine.

"Debugging failed because Windows Integrated authentication is not enabled."
I have done a number of Google searches on this topic and none of the
information I have found so far has helped.

When I go into Help from within IIS Manager on my Vista machine it points me
to a technet article regarding Windows Authentication on IIS 7.

1.
Open IIS Manager and navigate to the level you want to manage. For
information about opening IIS Manager, see IIS 7.0: Open IIS Manager. For
information about navigating to locations in the UI, see IIS 7.0: Navigation
in IIS Manager.

2.
In Features View, double-click Authentication.

3.
On the Authentication page, select Windows Authentication.

4.
In the Actions pane, click Enable to use Windows authentication.

Note:
Optionally, you can disable Kernel-mode authentication by clicking Advanced
Settings. As a best practice, you should not disable this setting if you use
Kerberos authentication and a custom identity on the application pool.

Command Line
To enable or disable Windows authentication, use the following syntax:

appcmd set config /section:windowsAuthentication /enabled:true | false

By default, IIS sets the enabled attribute to false, which disables Windows
authentication. If you set the attribute to true, you enable Windows
authentication. For example, to enable Windows authentication, type the
following at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

appcmd set config /section:windowsAuthentication /enabled:true

-----------------------------------

Well when I open Authenication in IIS manager I only get 3 choices:

Anonymous Authentication
Forms Authentication
ASP.NET Impersonation

When I go to edit Anonymous Authentication, as other documentaion suggested,
I get the choices of :
Specific User
Application Pool Identity

I have tried the command line solution copied and pasted from the article
itself, and I am told "Windows cannot find appcmd" .
I did a search with the Vista search utility on the entire C drive and it
did not find any form of "appcmd ".

I have changed a setting in Web.config (which by the way needs no changing
to debug on my XP machine.
---------------------------
<system.webServer>
<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="true"/>
-----------------------

However, leaving the value to "false" allows debugging on my XP machine with
no problem.

I need to be able to debug on LocalHost on my Vista machine. BTW, the
website itself runs fine from http://localhost when not trying to run in
debug mode.

Lastly I have just gone thru an entire Vista upgrade re-intstall over my
exisiting Vista install because w3p.exe was not being allowed to access some
registry entries and the only way I could find to fix a corrupted .NET 2.o
franework install was to re-install Vista entirely.
Yes, I applied all the upgrades and service packs necessary as determined by
Micorosoft Update.

Vista has been a real pain development wise ever since I installed it.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks to all....

John Kotuby

This post by Mike Volodarsky on his blog has helped me out greatly....
http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/a...ng-of-ASP.NET-applications-on-IIS7-Vista.aspx

Why can't MSDN documentation even come close to being this good?
I guess MS would rather sell their developer help for ridiculous hourly
rates.
It's a great source of income.
It reminds me of an old Dilbert cartoon. Pointy-head remarks something to
the effect that "Our documentation is so poor that we have started charging
for technical support. We didn't plan it that way. It all came together when
I realized I hate our customers."

John Kotuby

Another update. In IIS Manager I had to change from the "Default AppPool" to
the "Classic .NET AppPool" in the advanced settings for the web application
as outlined in this article:
http://www.thousandtyone.com/blog/CategoryView,category,Vista.aspx

All of this is supposed to be fixed in the Vista SP1 service pack.

Hope everyone had a good holiday season. May the New Year be enjoyable and
prosperous to all.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Another update. In IIS Manager I had to change from the "Default AppPool"
to the "Classic .NET AppPool" in the advanced settings for the web
application as outlined in this article:
http://www.thousandtyone.com/blog/CategoryView,category,Vista.aspx

All of this is supposed to be fixed in the Vista SP1 service pack.

The app pool issue is fixed in Visual Studio.NET 2008, even without Vista
SP1...

At least, none of my VS.NET 2008 web apps need to run in the Classic pool
any more...