ASP.NET: dollar sign ($) changed to undisplayable characters

Norman Yuan

System:

ASP.NET app, .NET 1.1, developed on VS.NET2003. Windows Server 2003 Std.
with SP1, IIS6.0

Problem:

The app is a invoicing system, a lot of numbers are displayed as currency,
like $200.00. These numbers are formated in the code using either {0:C}, or
..ToString("C"). Occasionally, after copying the modified dlls in Bin folder
and *.aspx file to the server, the "$" became a unrecognizeable character.
Stop and restart IIS does not cure it. Only reboot the server computer gets
the "$" sign back. If it only happens very occasionally, it would be fine.
But recently the thing is getting worse: $ simply keeps getting lost and a
small square is displayed instead.

I am pretty sure it is not browser problem on the client end. Because all
users see the ame thing ($ gone and back after server rebooting). The
ASP.NET app is developed on my very similar system (Win2003 Server, but
Enterprise edition, with SP1, IIS6.0, .NET1.1) and during my test on my
developing box, it never happened. I compared the both computer for Reginal
Settings, they are identical.

Searching MS KB and googling did not get me useful information.

Did someone run into this issue or know something about it?