ASP.NET/IIS Authentication and Impersonation

Michael A. Jensen

We have a web application that is configured to run using impersonation. A
Windows Group is created during the application installation which user
accounts get added to in order to access the app (defaults to Authenticated
Users global group which seems to work fine for all user access). The
Windows Group is configured to have the same privileges that ASP.NET process
account would have (and does) if we were not using impersonation (taken
directly from Microsoft's privilege matrix on ASP.NET Security). The
application as a whole works fine however, we are noticing some strange
performance issues when running over the network versus locally. When
running the application locally on a standalone computer (2003/2000/XP Pro),
regardless of the user account type (regular user or administrator) the
application and page (ASP.NET) response times are excellent. However, when
the application is installed on a remote (2003/2000/XP Pro) server and users
access over the network (regardless of browser) there is a noticable
difference in response times between user accounts with administrative
privileges and regular users accounts. The application still works without
error, its just that page response times for regular users run about 20-30
seconds slower than for administrative accounts. We have ruled out
application code as being the problem pretty much by the fact that the
response times when running locally are the same for admin and user
accounts. We have tried modify the local system policy to grant rights that
the Administrator group has but have not seen any differences. By all
accounts it appear to be some sort of rights/authentication issue but we
have pretty much run out of ideas. Any thoughts or insights anyone can shed
on the subject would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Jensen

(e-mail address removed)

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Michael,

how many groups (including nesting) are your normal users member of.

have you tried to inspect network traffic using a tools like ethereal (www.ethereal.com)
??