asp.net impersonation

Steve

When a Web Service is configured to use windows authentication with no
impersonation the client can successfully assess the web service.

web.config that works:
<system.web>
<authentication mode="Windows"/>

<authorization>
</authorization>
</system.web>

When I turn on impersonation and add authorization for user domain
\web1 I get the error "The request failed with HTTP status 401:
Unauthorized". User domain\web1 as full access to the web site
directories.

web.config that does not work:
<system.web>
<authentication mode="Windows"/>
<identity impersonate="true"/>

<authorization>
<deny users="*" />
<allow users="domain\web1" />
</authorization>
</system.web>

What do I need to do to get impersonation to work?