ASP.NET Membership: Where are the Roles Stored?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ijoxley, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. ijoxley

    ijoxley Guest

    Hi

    I'm in the middle of implementing ASP.NET membership and role-based
    authentication using the new ASP.NET 2.0 Membership and Roles
    classes/database and was stuck on the following:

    When using the Security Setup Wizard to add rules for directory access
    based on the roles I have created, where do these rules get stored?

    I had assumed that this was being written to the application's
    web.config file, but this does not seem to be the case. I have also
    checked in the tables created by running aspnet_regsql.exe on my
    application's database but could not find any trace of these rules
    being written there either.

    The worry is that, seeing as the application is currently on a testing
    server, when I need to copy the application to its live server I have
    to manually create all the rules/roles again rather than just being
    able to copy the information over.

    Thanks

    Ian

    ijoxley, Apr 28, 2006

  2. ijoxley

    ijoxley Guest

    Duh, just found out the answer to this myself: each subdirectory that a
    rule was applied to now has its own web.config.

    Apologies if I've wasted anyone else's time but my own.

    ijoxley, Apr 28, 2006

  3. ijoxley

    Jan Hyde Guest

    's wild thoughts were released on 28 Apr
    2006 00:42:50 -0700 bearing the following fruit:
    Don't feel too bad, you posted a question *and* the answer
    to that question, which will be very much appreciated by
    anyone searching the archives later on.

    Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

    Jan Hyde, Apr 28, 2006