Custom Membership and Roles

StinkyDuck

Hello,

I am relatively new to ASP.NET 2.0 and have been reading a book and going
through some articles on the internet. When looking for information
regarding membership and roles, I see lots of articles utilizing the built
in profile classes in ASP.NET. In my mind this seems to be an easy way for
to get membership working in an application.

When building a commercial application, would this still be the standard way
to build a web application supporting user profiles? Customizing and
extending user profiles and memberships would require a custom written
framework?

Any help in helping understand this would be greatly appreciated.

-StinkyDuck

Masudur

Hi....

-----depend the size of the user group... and customer requirement...

"extending user profiles and memberships would require a custom
written
framework?"

not necessary... you can write all by your self... or use third party
providers.... for example
"my sql" do provide a custom membership and role provider's that can
work with my sql database...

Scott Mitchell wrote a serise of articles about membership role and
profile...
please review the articles....

Thanks
Md. Masudur Rahman (Munna)
Kaz Software Ltd.
www.kaz.com.bd
http://munnacs.110mb.com

sloan

If you don't have users/roles in a database already, then you ~can stick to
the default stuff.

If you already have username/passwords/roles/rights in a (your own)
database, then that when you would implment a custom membershipprovider or
rolesprovider.

Whichever way you go, I would use a "real" database setup, and not the
express version.

See
http://www.aspcode.net/Running-membership-provider-with-SQL-2000.aspx

There are providers for
Access
MySql

as well, you just have to find them (google them).

The goal of the (abstract) MembershipProvider is to provide a default
implmentation for those "from the ground up" websites, but AT THE SAME TIME,
allow you to use all the asp.net controls (like login) if you have your own
databases setup. (and you would write your own custome provider)

StinkyDuck

Sloan,

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks for clearing it up for me and
providing me a direction.

-StinkyDuck