Membership & Roles in 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, May 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have several questions regarding the Membership and Roles mechanism in
    ASP.Net 2.0.

    1. In the box, it comes with SqlMembershipProvider, which uses SQL Express
    2005. What if I want it to use SQL Server 2005 Enterprise (not express)
    instead? I'm really hoping I don't have to write my own MembershipProvider to
    accomplish this.

    2. My users have more information about them than the in the box data. For
    example, I will need to know what jurisdiction a user belongs to, and of
    course when they register they will pick from a list. There is much more than
    that I need to store about my users that will affect their access to certain
    resources (pages), etc. Gawd, I hope I don't have to write my own
    MembershipProvider.

    3. My last question is related to roles. I will need more information about
    roles than is provided in the box. For example, a role may have to tell my
    application to behave differently depending on some attribute of the role.
    Jeeze, I hope I don't have to write my own MembershipProvider!

    So can I do all these modifications with the "in the box" features?

    Guest, May 18, 2006

  2. Juan T. Llibre, May 18, 2006

    clintonG Guest

    A1.) The default SqlMembershipProvider is declared in machine.config. We
    over-ride the default by declaration in web.config located in the root of
    the application. Then we wire up a connection string and poof! It starts
    working.

    A2.) The same applies to using Profiles for persistant storage of user data
    such as a jurisdiction. Profiles are implemented through Membership. The
    method data is stored by default in aspnet_Profiles is not query friendly.
    You're advised to study the Table Profile Provider which I've just learned
    about myself.

    A3.) We can create and assign a role such as A-1.0.2 and take each character
    apart for introspection and applied semantics. If that's what you mean by
    "attributes" applied to a role that is how I would think -- as if the name
    of a role is structured like an alphanumeric part number -- but only if I
    needed to forget to keep it simple stupid.

    Don't fret about writing your own providers. Most of what you need to do is
    read more like Juan suggested noting Gus blog contains a compendium of
    related URL resources.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, May 19, 2006