asp.net, php and apache

G

1) Can you use apache as a web server with an asp.net app?
2) Can you use PHP as a scripting language within asp.net?

If yes to these questions, is there anything special I need to do to make it
happen?

Thanks,

Mike W.

S

Sky Sigal

Look for MONO in google to see how the linux crowd has been handling the porting of ASP.NET to the
Apache environment.
Last time I looked 4 months ago, it looked nearly done...

As for PHP in VS...
There was a PHP # listed at SourceForge -- but it looks like it stalled and is going nowhere... :-(

PS:
I think I asked these exact same questions when I got onto ASP.NET -- and was disappointed that I
could not port over my PHP work.
But frankly thinking in PHP will only hinder you in understanding ASP.NET. You've got to let it go,
and start as a beginner/fresh mind....Really. It's a totally different 'mindset'....

Good luck!
Sky

PPS:
Personally I gave up in frustration the first time I encountered ASP.NET, not recognizing any part
of the landscape coming from a PHP point of view...
Then I came back to C# 6 months later...this time i finally 'got it'...
Although, even after 'getting it', the jury is still out if it is as wonderful as it is suppossed to
be: I saw a lot of articles on "how fast you can build in C#" --
but that has not been my experience: I am still no where near as fast in C# as in PHP now and
everything seems to be taking 4-10 times longer to deliver to clients, and therefore is more
expensive (to me)...
That said, The language/framework/logic feels great. I just (REALLY!) hope that i am not fooling
myself into thinking that its just the price I have to pay to learn, and it will speed up...

Ask a Question