ASP will not serve requests because it could not perform the first request initialization / HTTP 500

Rene

Hi,

I'm spend many hour to fix this problem, read many articles about it but no
article gave a solution.

To isolate the problem I've created in IIS6 (WServer2003) a virtual
directory test to the local C:\test, in this directory I have index.htm and
test.asp (just a simple Response.Write "TEST").

Opening the server/test/index.htm show the page, server/test/test.asp gives
an internal error (500). The event log gives me the "ASP will not server..."
error.

I cannot find any ASP errors (friendly message turned of etc.) so I guess
the page ASP script is not started.

ASP is enabled, if I disable ASP I get could not load page in IE.
IIS was re-installed, didn't solve the problem.

Maybe can give me a clue where to look of what to try next because I'm out
of options.

TIA Rene

ddongdog\(Jinhyung Lee\)

at first

1. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click Internet Options.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Show friendly HTTP error messages check box to clear it.
4. Click OK.

ddongdog\(Jinhyung Lee\)

1. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click Internet Options.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Show friendly HTTP error messages check box to clear it.
4. Click OK.

and you can show about error

Rene

Thanks for your reply, but as I wrote I friendly messages are turned off. IE
still gives me HTTP/1.1 Server Error (just one line with this message).

Rene

Kristofer Gafvert

Hello,

What is the complete error message? Four words of the error message does not
help us help you. We need the complete error message.

Rene

Kristofer Gafvert said:
What is the complete error message? Four words of the error message does not
help us help you. We need the complete error message.

When I try to load test.asp the complete error message is (in Internet
Explorer):]
HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error

The error message in the event view is:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Active Server Pages
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5
Date: 13-12-2004
Time: 9:30:35
User: N/A
Computer: BALSRV02
Error: ASP will not serve requests because it could not perform the first
request initialization..

NOTE: this event is only once written to the log after restarted IIS. The
second or next time I load a page with ASP IE gives the same error, but no
line is written to the log.

The event viewer tells Event ID 5 file name iisres.dll version 6.0.3790 type
error. There is no info available for this event in the support center.

IISSTATE writes an Unknown Exception (first change) when opening the
test.asp in inetinfo and w3wp logs.

Rene

Kristofer Gafvert

Hello,

I have never seen this error message.

If not someone else have other suggestions, can you try to run FileMon and
RegMon to verify that access to any file/registry key is not denied, and
causing this problem?

These tools are available from Sysinternals:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

I'm sorry that i couldn't give you any more help, but this error is new to
me aswell.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

Date: 13-12-2004
Time: 9:30:35
User: N/A
Computer: BALSRV02
Error: ASP will not serve requests because it could not perform the first
request initialization..

NOTE: this event is only once written to the log after restarted IIS. The
second or next time I load a page with ASP IE gives the same error, but no
line is written to the log.

The event viewer tells Event ID 5 file name iisres.dll version 6.0.3790
type
error. There is no info available for this event in the support center.

IISSTATE writes an Unknown Exception (first change) when opening the
test.asp in inetinfo and w3wp logs.

Rene

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Rene said:
Kristofer Gafvert said:
What is the complete error message? Four words of the error message
does not help us help you. We need the complete error message.

When I try to load test.asp the complete error message is (in Internet
Explorer):]
HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error

Are you sure you have Friendly Errors turned off?
Date: 13-12-2004
Time: 9:30:35
User: N/A
Computer: BALSRV02
Error: ASP will not serve requests because it could not perform the
first request initialization..

According to this:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#0ab29092d74d1964

the problem was solved on one machine by fixing filesystem permissions per
an unspecified KB article. You should search support.microsoft.com for
articles containing the keywords: permissions and IIS

I also found this, which unfortunately did not seem t be very relevant.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5&eventno=31&source=Active Server Pages&phase=1

Bob Barrows

Rene

Bob Barrows said:
Are you sure you have Friendly Errors turned off?

I can send you a screendump if you want ;-)

Internet explorer -> options -> advanced [ ] Show friendly HTTP error
messages
(it is unchecked)
According to this:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#0ab29092d74d1964

I found this link as well and checked the permissions, it seems to be ok.
I also found this, which unfortunately did not seem t be very relevant.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5&eventno=31&source=Active Server Pages&phase=1

I will check it out,

thanks for your reply and regards,

Rene