aspmenu require click to activate

Guest

Hi,
How do I require a mouseclick before the root menu items will expand instead
of mouse-over on an asp.net 2.0 menu control?
I would like to know how to do this with the menu control in the framework
and not some 3rd party control, please.

To those users out there with an opinion instead of a solution who seem to
require a life's history and ssn# for an answer:
I realize this is usually not the norm, the menu position is in an area of
high mouse traffic and often expands and gets in the way when it's not
needed, but we are not moving it. This is a code question, (with the answer
being possible here is how or not possible), not a design consultation
request.
To anyone else, thank you.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

Based on my understanding, your question is how to make the parent menu
item expand when clicked instead of when hovered on. Let me know if I've
misunderstood anything.

I've done some research by digging into the source code of related classes
using Reflector (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/). Unfortunately it's
not possible for ASP.NET built-in Menu control: if you look into the
MenuItem.RenderItem code, you will see the the code:

if ((this.Selectable && this.Enabled) || (this.ChildItems.Count
!= 0))
{
writer.AddAttribute("onmouseover",
"Menu_HoverDynamic(this)");
this.RenderItemEvents(writer);
}
else
{
writer.AddAttribute("onmouseover",
"Menu_HoverDisabled(this)");
writer.AddAttribute("onmouseout", "Menu_Unhover(this)");
}

Also, the click action is used to launch the URL of the menu item, please
note that a parent menu item could also have a URL associated and clicking
on it will navigate to the URL.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Guest

Hi Walter,
I have downloaded Reflector and plugins. Thanks for the answer and for
the link.