aspnet_regiis.exe -ir -enable destroys perf counters?

Stefan Kuhr

Hello everyone,

I hope this is not an FAQ and that somebody can answer this:

As part of our webservice installation we run

aspnet_regiis.exe -ir -enable

on computers where the web service is supposed to be installed. On some
computers, notably those running Windows 2000, we get corrupted or
missing value entries in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Performance
when running this command line. Most notably, the DWORD values "First
Counter", "Last Counter, "First Help", "Last Help" are missing and the
result is that typically within 1 minute the application event log is
completely filled with entries that look like this:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Perflib
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1008
Date: 11/10/2005
Time: 1:34:03 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MeinTollerComputer
The Open Procedure for service "ASP.NET_2.0.50727" in DLL
"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet _perf.dll" failed.
Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code
returned is data DWORD 0.
Data:
0000: b7 00 07 80 ·..€

When running the command line above, it says something like

"Setup has detected some errors during the operation. For details,
please read the setup log file
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ASPNETSetup_00044.log"

If I look into this log file, the only suspicious line says:

Starting Install common performance counters
2006-11-20 16:56:15 Failure Install common performance counters:
InstallGenericPerfCounters failed with HRESULT 800700b7: 'Cannot create
a file when that file already exists. '
2006-11-20 16:56:15

What is going wrong here? I have no idea what
"InstallGenericPerfCounters" means, anyone with more insight into what
is happening here? How can we prevent this from happening on our
customers' computers?

Please folks, don't tell me to turn off the performance counters for
asp.net, this is not an option for us.

Any help appreciated,

Juan T. Llibre

re:

When -enable is specified with -i, -ir or -r, ASP.NET will
be enabled in the IIS security console (IIS 6.0 or later).

You shouldn't run that command on servers running Windows 2000.
Windows 2000 only runs IIS 5.0.

It's only natural that you get corrupted or missing value entries
in servers which don't understand the instructions which "-enable" sends.

Stefan Kuhr

Hello Juan,
re:

When -enable is specified with -i, -ir or -r, ASP.NET will
be enabled in the IIS security console (IIS 6.0 or later).

You shouldn't run that command on servers running Windows 2000.
Windows 2000 only runs IIS 5.0.

It's only natural that you get corrupted or missing value entries
in servers which don't understand the instructions which "-enable" sends.

Thanks for answering, I will pass this information to the developer in
charge for our setup. However, I don't think that this is the reason why
my perf counter values are lost. I reconstructed the missing values
for "First Counter" and so on on my dev machine and just ran

aspnet_regiis.exe -ir

without "-enable". And again, the same happened: The key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_2.0.50727\Performance
first seems to get deleted and then it is only reconstructed halfway,
without the Perf Counter values. The output of aspnet_regiis.exe on the
console is just the same as if I had passed "-enable" and the log file
it refers to still has that strange line indicating

"Install common performance counters: InstallGenericPerfCounters failed
with HRESULT 800700b7"

Any other ideas?