    & roles in an ASP .NET Web Site or WAP.

    Actually, I guess I understand why I get one in my App_Data folder of my web
    site, but what is the system one for?

    Scott M., Feb 2, 2008

  2. The one in your web site is just created by ASP.Net by default when you
    enable membership on it. Unfortunatley, it's mostly useless because there
    are very few hosts that have SQL Server Express available in theor hosting
    packages, which is required to attach an mdf file defined in a connection
    string.

    As for how it came into your SQL Server Express edition itself, I'm not
    exactly sure. When I tried SQL Server Express a few ties (normally use full
    version) it never did this. You may just be blessed though as a db that's
    actually attached to SQL Server Express should be easier to get published to
    a full SQL Server instance on your host.

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Feb 2, 2008

  3. Thanks for Mark's input

    Hi Scott,

    The aspnetdb in your web application App_Data folder is a feature of SQL
    Express edition called "user instance" which can help you attach a flexible
    mdf file with non-admin privilege.

    #User Instances for Non-Administrators

    As for the aspnetdb in your SQL Express system database, I'm also a bit
    surprised as Visual Studio or .NET won't install database into SQL EXPRESS
    server instance by default. Is the box also accessible by any other members
    on your side? There is a commandline utility in .net 2.0 that can help
    create aspnetdb (all the sp and tables for ASP.NET provider services) in a
    specified SQL instance:

    #Herramienta Registro de SQL Server para ASP.NET (Aspnet_regsql.exe)
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/es-es/library/ms229862.aspx

    You may check whether anyone else may have created the database.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.