ASPNETDB.MDF and Sql Server 2005 Express

Jeff

hey

VS2008 (90 days trail version)

I have created a simple asp.net project in VS2008. Now I want to connect to
the ASPNETDB.MDF database from "Sql Server 2005 Express Management studio",
because I think it's easier to work with the database from there (compared
to VS2008). But I don't see how to connect to the database. I've tryed
"attach" in "Sql Server 2005 Express Management studio" but the program
won't let me select the folder where I have the database. The database is
locaed in a subfolder in "my documents", but I even cannot browse the my
documents folder for it...

any suggestions?

scchee

I am New in ASP.NET.
I also wrote a small project which used user login that manage with
Aspnetdb.mdf. It works fine on my system but when I upload it into my hosting
server, it generate error message as
Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in
retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user
has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.

How do I connect to hosting SQL server?
Can any one help me on this...

Regards
Chee

clintonG

First, you both should learn to use sqlcmd from the shell which is the
replacement for osql. It is the fastest way to test connectivity and do some
other admin tasks.

Secondly, I haven't got my head around this new "user instance" paradigm yet
I would read "Plae make sure the user has a local profile in the user's
local application data path" literally. Submit those terms to search to
learn more (as I still have to) --but-- I've heard the user instance is
FUBAR for ASP.NET Membership, Roles and Profiles but in which way I still
haven't nailed specifically.

Hope these comments help both make one more step forward...

<%= Clinton Gallagher

sloan

//when I upload it into my hosting
server//

That's the key.

Most hosting companies do NOT allow for Sql Express databases.

You'll need to check your hosting company and see if they do or do not allow
it.

Its usually a business decision/price thing for them.

If they allow any number of sql express's...you don't have to buy the "Sql
Server (non express" upgrade package.