audio synthesis libraries / platforms / drivers questions

sandwich_eater

What is a basic library or call for audio output, easy to set up and
get started on. Say for example I wanted to render a wave with a C++
program and then play it back, possibly with a real time control, in
Windows or Linux. (perhaps not the right forum but... ) Is it
possible to do this without using the layers such as found on the Linux
audio? Do they come with alot of baggage (perhaps interface to these
later for integration) ? What is stk like, is there a book on using
it? What about audio in VS.NET, what about latency?

Tobias Blomkvist

(e-mail address removed) sade:
What is a basic library or call for audio output, easy to set up and
std::cout<<"\a";

get started on. Say for example I wanted to render a wave with a C++
program and then play it back, possibly with a real time control, in
Windows or Linux. (perhaps not the right forum but... ) Is it
possible to do this without using the layers such as found on the Linux
audio? Do they come with alot of baggage (perhaps interface to these
later for integration) ? What is stk like, is there a book on using
it? What about audio in VS.NET, what about latency?

DirectX provides a complete sound control interface, and further help
can be found on microsoft.public.directx.* (and numerous websites).

Tobias

sandwich_eater

DirectX looks too bloated. The sample code is abisimal. I am not
interested in build in mixers, 3d sound and such like.

sandwich_eater

That looks good but I do not see anything on rendering a sound in
memory, only loading in wavs and playing them back.

sandwich_eater

I think SDL is 16bit, my sound card is 24bit 96KHz. I am looking for
code that sends raw stereo pcm data to the sound card, loading and
mixing wavs is of no interest to me.

Bob Hairgrove

I think SDL is 16bit, my sound card is 24bit 96KHz. I am looking for
code that sends raw stereo pcm data to the sound card, loading and
mixing wavs is of no interest to me.

Not many people have 24 bit sound yet ... you'll probably have to
write some kind of device driver or find some open source project
(hint: Google, sourceforge).

[This is all OT in comp.lang.c++, BTW...]