Auto searching a PDF

silver_animal

Greetings,

Hopefully this posting is clear to both newsgroups.

I have been looking for a way to open a PDF file and automatically
locate and go to a certain phrase within the file. The phrase should
only appear once within the file, if not, the first occurrance is all
that is needed.

The file is needed to be opened from a website, into a new window. As
it is opened, it needs to be sent the key phrase that it is looking
for. I have no trouble choosing what phrase on the html side or
opening the pdf file on its own. Note that the opening and finding of
phrases would be done with Javascript on the html side.

Essentially what I am looking for is for the user to be able to click a
link on the website. The site would open up the new pdf window
containing the file and is automatically at the spot where the first
phrase appears in the pdf.

However, I do not wish to attach any Javascript to the pdf file itself.
The file may be changing over time by other users who may not have the
expertise to deal with the javascript adding. At the moment, the
original file is created in word and then transfered to PDF. So the
PDF file name stays the same, as well as its location which would be in
the same directory as the html file that links to it. But the contents
of the PDF may change over time so I cannot add a Javascript to the pdf
file.

Note that it may be possible if neccessary to add Javascript to the
PDF. I may be able to get the users to edit the file in PDF mode but
that is not a given.

I do not want a pop up window such as in the find option for the user
to press before coming to the right location unless any other possible
solution is not available.

Version used: Adobe Acrobat Professional Vers 7

Hopefully that is not too much information. I have been struggling
with how to do this for a while now. Any help would be great.

Thanks

nikos

are you trying to do all this programmatically? then try IFilter COM
interface, there's an adobe plugin for this functionality

hth
Nikos