Avoiding Shared Hosting

Carl Gilbert

Hi

I feel as if I'm fighting a loosing battle with shared hosting at the
moment. I have an account with 1&1. For a whopping £16.99 a month I get
6GB of shared Microsoft hosting.
I also get the ability to have as many domains as I like, 5 web applications
and large SQL databases.

I'm currently experiencing some difficulties with a website.
"Request for the permission of type
'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed."
I'm rapidly running out of ideas on how to fix this problem. I can't
reproduce the issues locally so I have no idea what's causing the problem.

So I started thinking, maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle. I've
heard a lot of negative stuff about 1&1 in my travels and always ignored
them. Maybe it's the flash website and easy to use control panel that's got
to me.

1&1 lock things down so much which I think is part of my problem. What
other options do I have? What other kind of hosting packages/host companies
are there?

The thing I like about 1&1 is the ability to host more than one web
application per account and the large SQL databases I can have.

I've looked at other hosting companies but most only allow 1 domain.

What are peoples views on 1&1?
Does anyone use a hosting company that allows multiple domains and multiple
ASP.NET 2.0 web applications?
Is shared hosting my problem or is it just 1&1 not allowing medium trust,
etc?

Regards, Carl Gilbert

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

its all tradeoffs. you can find more open hosting, but then your site can be
hacked by other sites on the same host. to safely run on an unsecured host,
you need a dedicated box.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Most ISPs allow only partial trust with shared hosting. That means that any
code that demands Full Trust is going to run into trouble.

While it's understandable from the ISP's point of view, partial trust
prevents many Web and server-side Office apps from working properly.

Some ISPs are now offering virtual servers where you have far more control
of the "box". Not sure if yours has this, but it might be worth
investigating, even at a higher cost.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]