basic questions about tags

Carl

Hi, I just started to learn about html tags. I am writing a html
version of a self-note about what each html tag does. But when I type "
<h2> something </h2> " to explain what the html tag <h2> does,
everything after that gets bigger although all I wanted was to write
about what <h2> does, not to make everything gets bigger in my html file.
Could anybody tell me what I can do about this?
Thank you very much, and have a good day.

David Dorward

Carl said:
Hi, I just started to learn about html tags. I am writing a html
version of a self-note about what each html tag does. But when I type "
<h2> something </h2> " to explain what the html tag <h2> does,
everything after that gets bigger although all I wanted was to write
about what <h2> does, not to make everything gets bigger in my html file.
Could anybody tell me what I can do about this?

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Show_HTML_examples

Steve Pugh

Carl said:
Hi, I just started to learn about html tags.

Make sure that you learn about HTML elements as well.
I am writing a html
version of a self-note about what each html tag does.

That's going to be very repetitive.
<X> starts the X element.
</X> ends the X element
<Y> starts the Y element
</Y> ends the Y element
etc.

That's all that a tag does - start or end an element. Nothing more at
all.
But when I type "
<h2> something </h2> " to explain what the html tag <h2> does,
everything after that gets bigger although all I wanted was to write
about what <h2> does, not to make everything gets bigger in my html file.

Everything gets bigger? Or just the text 'something'? If everything
gets bigger then you haven't closed the h2 properly, go back and check
that you haven't mistyped the closing tag.

Not sure what you mean, but if you want to include the literal text
<h2> in a file and have it appear as <h2> and not have it mark the
start of a level two heading, then you need to include it as
&lt;h2&gt;

Steve

brucie

Hi, I just started to learn about html tags. I am writing a html
version of a self-note about what each html tag does.

elements, not tags. elements have an opening and closing tag. the tags
may or may not be optional.
But when I type "
<h2>

the opening tag of the h2 element
something </h2>

and the closing tag of the h2 element.
to explain what the html tag <h2> does, everything after that gets
biggeralthough all I wanted was to write about what <h2> does,

change your < to &lt; and your > to &gt;

&lt;h2&gt;something&lt;/h2&gt;

it will display <h2>something</h2> rather than rendering the content
of the h2 element