Beep in browser

Mike

You could create a flash movie with sound and call it with
function:document.write("<flash implementation goes here...>");

//Michael

Guest

Pretty empty explanation.
I give you half a lemon for the answer.
--
Arne Garvander
(I program VB.Net for fun and C# to get paid.)

Mike said:
You could create a flash movie with sound and call it with
function:document.write("<flash implementation goes here...>");

//Michael

Olaf Rabbachin

Hi,

Arne said:
How can I create a simple beep in the browser when an error occured?

you could issue a ...

Response.Write("<script>alert('Error!');</script>")
Response.End()

...., showing a JR-generated message along the way. There's no built-in
function for JS though that would fire a simple beep (at least not that I
know of). However, since this is a client-thing, you'll have to do it
client-side, hence JS would be the most promising approach I guess.

Cheers,
Olaf

Guest

I don't think that will sound and it will force the user to hit enter.
I don't prefer that.

Olaf Rabbachin

Hi,

Arne said:
I don't think that will sound and it will force the user to hit enter.
I don't prefer that.

thing is, you (i.e. the server running your app) don't have any influence
whatsoever on your client, it's just a browser running there. This means
that there is simply no control concerning client-side effects such as
sound. Hence, you'll probably have to use an applet or an ActiveX to be
able to do such things. Pretty much work for little effect plus annoying
installations ...

Cheers,
Olaf

Olaf Rabbachin

Hi,

Arne said:
It turns out be easy:
<bgsound src='Chimes.wav' />

good to know, but still - this will a) require whatever .wav to be on the
client. BTW (didn't try it out) - doesn't that play in a loop ..?

Cheers,
Olaf

Registered User

No. The sound file comes from the server.

Serious Q: Does the sound file play on the server or the client? It is
tough to tell when both run on the same box.

Not-So-Wiseass Q: What will the intentionally silent client miss when
this beep is not heard? It sounds like chrome to me.

regards
A.G.

Olaf Rabbachin

Hi,

Arne said:
The sound is in the browser. Not everyone have sound on their computer.

which is why the sound comes from the client-PC, not your server. The way
you issued that command (in the client!), it'll look for that file locally.

Cheers,
Olaf