Beginner question about slice and LUT

Giox

Hello everybody,
where can I find a clear explanation of the difference between

Number of Slice Flip Flops

and

Number of 4 input LUT

in the feedback provided by ISE Xilinx.
I'm a bit confused.
Any explanation or link will be very helpful
Gio

weber

Hello everybody,
where can I find a clear explanation of the difference between

Number of Slice Flip Flops

and

Number of 4 input LUT

in the feedback provided by ISE Xilinx.
I'm a bit confused.
Any explanation or link will be very helpful
Gio

I guess that relation can be different for each FPGA (Xilinx: Spartan,
Virtex 2, Virtex 4 etc) so a good place to find this information would
be the user guide of your target board.
Cheers,
weber

Martin Thompson

Giox said:
Hello everybody,
where can I find a clear explanation of the difference between

The difference between them is that they are a count of completely
different things...
Number of Slice Flip Flops

The is the number of flipflops used up by your design, that have been
put into the slices. Flipflops in IO blocks don't count towards this number
and

Number of 4 input LUT

This is the number of LUTs used up by your design. These are also in
the slices.
in the feedback provided by ISE Xilinx.
I'm a bit confused.

What by? I wonder if you are making things more complicated than they
actually are?
Any explanation or link will be very helpful
Gio

I'm happy to explain more if desired :)

Cheers,
Martin