Best database practises

sufferthefools

i have been taught always to use the data module and place all the
necesary components on it and refer to it when i need something. but
is this the best programming practise??

i get a lot of access violation messages and now that i want to make
the entire program dll based (so it can be easier to update) i sit with
a problem. how to use that data module.
do i include it to every dll project or do make it a dll and then
reference it??

what would be the best way to convert a program like this to a dll
based solution

i have a main form(mdi form)
data table (all ado connections and some datasets as well as global
functions like user auditing)
and the mdi children.(which i want to convert to dll's)

the reason i want to make everything dll based is because it takes too
much time to update all of my users when i change some thing. i want
the program to unload the dll and update itself then run again.

i can open the dll's dynamically and use the functions but my problem
is interacting with the data module and the main parent calling the
dll's.

Ian Collins

sufferthefools said:
i have been taught always to use the data module and place all the
necesary components on it and refer to it when i need something. but
is this the best programming practise??

i get a lot of access violation messages and now that i want to make
the entire program dll based

Stop right there! I think you should go to a windows programming group,
DLLs are OT here.