    what's the best toolkit: tkinter, wxPython or what? stability, ease of use
    and portability between mac and windows are the main criteria.

    thanks, leo

    Leo, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Portability is fine with all the main xplatform toolkits afaik, so NP there.

    In terms of ease of use and stability it's hard to beat tkinter, which
    is barely changed since YEARS (can't get much stabler than that) -- and
    quite easy for elementary tasks, too.

    If you'd asked for looks, speed, screenpainters & suchlike tools, or
    functional richness (particularly in terms of variety of widgets), the
    answer might be different (and Qt, wx or GTK might then be preferred).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Leo

    Simon Foster Guest

    I would have to say that although Tkinter is easy to use, the look and
    feel of the finished product is a little agricultural, particularly on
    the Windows platform. If you can stretch a little, then I would go
    for wxPython which has a richer set of widgets and looks much more
    professional. I have written a couple of apps with Tkinter and moved
    on to wx. I have been much more satisfied with the final appearance
    of the wx apps.

    Simon Foster, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Leo

    Mark Roseman Guest

    I would have to say that although Tkinter is easy to use, the look and

    Simon (and others),

    If you have particular examples of where the look&feel of Tkinter
    was causing you problems, it would be great to hear about them.
    As you may know, there is an effort underway to modernize Tk (which
    underlies Tkinter), both in terms of updating the appearance of
    the existing widgets, and adding additional widgets.

    More info here: http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/

    Mark

    Mark Roseman, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Leo

    email9898989 Guest

    wxPython is not the easiest to use, but it is one of the most powerful
    GUI options. Run the demo.py file in the wxPython demo folder to see.

    If you are using Linux though, you might also try PyGTK.

    Some people have started projects to make easier-to-use interfaces to
    wxPython:
    http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/Wax - barely started
    http://www.anygui.org/ - barely started, not updated in a long time

    email9898989, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Leo

    John Hall Guest

    John Hall, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Leo

    Leo Guest

    well thanks for the answers. i might start with wxPython. is that a layer
    about qt or what?

    cheers, leo

    Leo, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Leo

    Simon Foster Guest

    Not problems, it's just that wx is more shiny :) I'm not intending
    this comment as a criticism of Tk, but wx is rather than nice. I've
    used them both, and they both have their merits.

    Simon Foster, Oct 31, 2003
  9. "or what". wxPython interfaces to wxWindows which implements widgets
    as layers above some kind of "native" widgets (e.g. GTK on Linux). Qt
    (which you can use from Python via PyQt) is less layered (makes its own
    widgets) with all the attendants pro's and con's. Personally I prefer
    Qt in terms of looks and power (and Tkinter if your original specs had
    been true -- you did say that stability, ease and portability were the
    main criteria!), but wx is quite popular too (for example because you'll
    never need to pay for it, while for Qt you may need a license if you want
    to make/distribute non-GPL apps or Windows apps).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Actually, *I* didn't have any trouble with Tkinter look&feel - The reason I
    do not use it is beacuse there are no - well none that I could find anyway -
    tools available to design Tkinter GUI's with!

    Many applications that I need use wxWindows as well - SciPy f.ex. - so I
    chose wxWindows as the lowest common denominator ;-)

    To the OP: Right now I use Boa Constructor with wxWindows - I am happy with
    it so far.

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen, Nov 4, 2003
  11. Leo

    Tim Lavoie Guest

    Frithiof> Actually, *I* didn't have any trouble with Tkinter
    Frithiof> look&feel - The reason I do not use it is beacuse there
    Frithiof> are no - well none that I could find anyway - tools
    Frithiof> available to design Tkinter GUI's with!

    Perhaps this might help:
    http://vtcl.sourceforge.net/

    Tim Lavoie, Nov 4, 2003
  12. Leo

    Eric Brunel Guest

    Does it generate Python/Tkinter code? AFAICT, at least from the web page, it
    doesn't...

    Another pointer:
    http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/src/Spectix/Spectix.html
    SpecTix does generate code for Python/Tkinter, even if it's still a bit
    experimental.

    HTH

    Eric Brunel, Nov 5, 2003
  13. Yeah it might, Thanks!

    PS;

    Q: Why does Mike Tyson cry while making love?

    A: It's the pepper spray!

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen, Nov 5, 2003