Bjarne Stroustrup's comments on C++11 - the new ISO C++ standard

Jorgen Grahn

I see from the links on that page that "The C++ Programming Language
(4th Edition)" is now shipping.

Already? That's good news -- last time I checked the date was years
into the future. Perhaps that was years ago.

Will order tonight.

/Jorgen

Ian Collins

Ian said:
I see from the links on that page that "The C++ Programming Language
(4th Edition)" is now shipping.

Well worth getting. The best C++ book is now a whole lot better.

Jorgen Grahn

Well worth getting. The best C++ book is now a whole lot better.

Amazon now tells me my copy is due right after Midsummer -- along with
Spacemen 3's classic "Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To".
(No comparison intended.)

I just hope it has the 2nd edition's soft binding, which has allowed
me to read it in bed and fall asleep countless times.

/Jorgen

red floyd

Amazon now tells me my copy is due right after Midsummer -- along with
Spacemen 3's classic "Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To".
(No comparison intended.)

I just hope it has the 2nd edition's soft binding, which has allowed
me to read it in bed and fall asleep countless times.

Mine came in the mail today. It's softcover.

Ian Collins

Jorgen said:
Amazon now tells me my copy is due right after Midsummer -- along with
Spacemen 3's classic "Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To".
(No comparison intended.)

They told me mine was due on the 9th of June, but it arrived Wednesday.
I just hope it has the 2nd edition's soft binding, which has allowed
me to read it in bed and fall asleep countless times.

It does.

Jorgen Grahn

Mine came in the mail today. It's softcover.

There are different kinds of softcovers -- the 2nd edition I have is
very soft and flexible. I guess it's the binding. Since none of you
have complained, I guess this 4th ed. is comparable.

(Softcovers can be bad. The worst ones were those that came with a CD
or DVD. I hope that practice went away with increased IP bandwidths.)

/Jorgen

Jorgen Grahn

There are different kinds of softcovers -- the 2nd edition I have is
very soft and flexible. I guess it's the binding. Since none of you
have complained, I guess this 4th ed. is comparable.

Mine came today and yes, its binding seems just as functional as the
2nd's. It's also only 25% or so thicker, so I can keep reading in bed.

/Jorgen

Enue

Ian said:
Well worth getting. The best C++ book is now a whole lot better.

Convince me. I'm still working on the first double-volume set. (You really
don't want me to critique it, and I really don't want to). What's up with
Bjarne these days anyway? He hasn't had a "relevant" thought since you used
his "quick-hack programming language" (QHPL).

Enue

Jorgen said:
Amazon now tells me my copy is due right after Midsummer -- along with
Spacemen 3's classic "Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To".
(No comparison intended.)

I just hope it has the 2nd edition's soft binding, which has allowed
me to read it in bed and fall asleep countless times.

/Jorgen

Help me with this. People still buy "books" (made of paper?). But technical
books? Is this Bjarne's worst night mare: that his intellectual offerings
would stagnate with a peutrid programming language? He went from "engineer"
at AT&T, to academia, right? Anyone else wanna know about that? I do.

Bjarne, how's the philosophy going? Figured it out yet? C++ pays the bills?
Are your personal goals being met? Or have they been met? I don't think so,
as far as the technical stuff (C++) goes. AT&T changed before you were
there: the time when invention of UNIX had already past. Then you had your
skunkworks C++, and to this day, they don't want it, .... uh oh, but I don't
want it either: I just want my phone to work (but just saying that makes me
a dinosaur). Did AT&T KNOW that your quick-hack C++ was a loser? I think
not. I think I know what "they" did: <I don't know how to convey that at
this time>.

So, you are "an intellectual". You make a lot of wrong (in retrospect, but
you were not a language designer then, just a "worker") decisions in
creation of a programming language (C++). You write insignificant books for
years, to capitalize on the fame of your quick-hack programming language.
But wait, that makes you NOT an engineer, but something else. OK.

So you leave <is there a name for it: for-profit?>, and seek haven in
academia. How is that working against your philosophy?

Mind you, not AGAINST BJARNE"S PHILOSOPHY, but rather, "given your
<philosphy (I mean, you have "one", right?)>", but what do I care about you
other than the others? Why do I ask these questions of you?

***
All tapped-out on that post (response).. don't even try me on chickens and
eggs.

Enue

Jorgen said:
There are different kinds of softcovers -- the 2nd edition I have is
very soft and flexible. I guess it's the binding. Since none of you
have complained, I guess this 4th ed. is comparable.

(Softcovers can be bad. The worst ones were those that came with a CD
or DVD. I hope that practice went away with increased IP bandwidths.)

I get it: you are followers of "the bible".

OK, I'll leave it at that. But you know what, Jesus didn't want to die, you
just had the vote.

Valentin BERNARD

Le 12/06/2013 07:56, Enue a écrit :
[...]

So, Enue is Jeb, and Jeb is Tony. Do I get it right?

Öö Tiib

Help me with this.

OK. But what help you need exactly?
People still buy "books" (made of paper?). But technical
books?

Books are media to pass information. Books made of paper are not best for
everything but are more convenient than alternatives in several senses. Lot
of people read books made of paper. There are several bookstores in every
major city on Earth.
Is this Bjarne's worst night mare: that his intellectual offerings
would stagnate with a peutrid programming language?

C++ is programming language. Programming languages are tools for writing
software. C++ is not best tool for designing every software but is more
convenient than alternatives for several purposes so it is widely used.
He went from "engineer" at AT&T, to academia, right? Anyone else wanna
know about that? I do.

He is a man who has done something during his life. He has designed
a (quite popular) programming language and has written some (quite popular)
books about it. There are lot of other books and programming languages so
whatever you have done (or not done) during your life is not fault of his.

Enui

Öö Tiib said:
OK. But what help you need exactly?

Books are media to pass information. Books made of paper are not best
for everything but are more convenient than alternatives in several
senses. Lot of people read books made of paper. There are several
bookstores in every major city on Earth.

C++ is programming language. Programming languages are tools for
writing software. C++ is not best tool for designing every software
but is more convenient than alternatives for several purposes so it
is widely used.

He is a man who has done something during his life.

Translated: you couldn't program yourself out of a paper bag, but someone
else showed you any way to do it and now you're kinda good at doing that.
This has nothing to do with BS, it's all about you, ya know. No need for
introspection, just face reality. The reality is that your whole life is a
lie because you chose to follow blindly, or, and more likely, chose to join
a gang. Move to San Diego, it's the gangbanger capital of the world. Ya
think? Or am I "just spoutin'" nonsense all the time?
He has designed

Nuh uh! C++ was anything BUT designed. Even BS will tell you that. It was
just a quick hack he did while "under the direction" of some IT PMB.
Engineering went out before the C++ was delivered. It was a
cultural/societal change. In retrospect, we now know what 20 years of
politics at the forefront result in (not that 3000 years of history before
that showed any different result).
a (quite popular)

That has some merit, to some. It's easy to herd sheep(le)?
programming language

He didn't really do that though.
and has written some (quite
popular) books

Let me count the number of them: 2.
about it.

Believe you me, I appreciate the opportunity of that decades-long lapse in
writing of significant books. I know what to do NOW, but surely others do
too or are actually DOING IT NOW AND HAVE THE RESOURCES TO DO IT NOW.

Which get's us back to you: what's your problem, "programmer"? Can't program
yourself out of a paper bag?
There are lot of other books and programming
languages so whatever you have done (or not done) during your life is
not fault of his.

"Nice try" at trying to move your own failure/failings upon me, but I can't
help you with that, biotch, ya know?