Blackberry - Objectlist Control

Mark Gialo

I have created an ASP.NET Mobile Application that utilizes Panel Controls and
Objectlist Controls.

In deploying to a Blackberry Device, the controls are not rendering properly.

The Objeclist Control shows a single column only, where it should shows all
columns as per the multiple fields defined in the markup.

My panel control does not render at all in response to my link selection to
add data. The panel controls consists of SelectionList Controls that are
created dynamically.

SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

JJ

In the Blackberry browser, do you have Javascript, HTML tables, and CSS
enabled? (Click the wheel and choose Options.) These are often disabled by
default.

Mark Gialo

JJ...I went to options, and modified the values as you requested. Still it
looks as if the code is rendering as if the device was WAP, versus HTML. FOr
the objectlist, only 1 field shows with the "More" Option.

Do I need to do something with the Web.Config to define the characteristics
of the devices?

JJ

That's probably because your machine.config is telling asp.net that the
Blackberry browser only supports WML, or at least that's what it is
defaulting to.

When the asp.net 1.1 mobile controls came out, there was supposed to be
continuing updates to the <browserCaps> to support many different kinds of
devices, but that never seemed to materialize and then asp.net 2.0 went off
and handled mobile devices in a different way.

Try this:

1) In addition to the settings I gave before for the Blackberry browser,
make sure it is set to render HTML & WML. It's another option in the same
screen as the other options. It's probably already the default, but double
check. Also make sure the emulation is set to Blackberry. (If you are
using a BES, you can create a policy for your users and push out the policy
so all of the devices have these options set for running your mobile app.)

2) Open Notepad, paste the lines below (between the ==== lines) into
Notepad, and save the file as
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\blackberry.config

3) Edit the file
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\machine.config and
search for the <browserCaps> line. Just under it should be a "<result
type=" line. Below the "<result type= line", add this line:

<file src="blackberry.config" />

You might need to do an iisreset after doing this - I forget if that is
necessary or not.

These changes will tell the asp.net 1.1 mobile controls that the Blackberry
can do things like html, javascript, tables, etc. and should make it render
correctly.

===================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<browserCaps>
<use var="HTTP_USER_AGENT" />
<filter>
<case match="BlackBerry.*">
IsMobileDevice = "true"
isColor = "True"
javascript = "True"
breaksOnInlineElements = "False"
browser = "mobile browser"
canInitiateVoiceCall = "True"
canSendMail = "True"
cookies = "True"
inputType = "keyboard"
maximumHrefLength = "1000"
maximumRenderedPageSize = "100000"
mobileDeviceManufacturer = "RIM"
mobileDeviceModel = "RIM 7520"
preferredImageMime = "image/gif"
preferredRenderingMime = "application/xhtml+xml"
preferredRenderingType = "html32"
requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl = "False"
requiresCommentInStyleElement = "True"
requiresFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl = "False"
requiresHiddenFieldValues = "False"
requiresHtmlAdaptiveErrorReporting = "False"
requiresOnEnterForwardForCheckboxLists = "False"
requiresPostRedirectionHandling = "False"
requiresXhtmlCssSuppression = "False"
screenBitDepth = "24"
screenCharactersHeight = "9"
screenCharactersWidth = "33"
screenPixelsHeight = "160"
screenPixelsWidth = "240"
supportsAccessKeyAttribute = "False"
supportsBodyClassAttribute = "True"
supportsBodyColor = "True"
supportsBold = "True"
supportsCss = "True"
supportsDivAlign = "False"
supportsDivNoWrap = "False"
supportsEmptyStringInCookieValue = "True"
supportsFontColor = "True"
supportsFontName = "True"
supportsFontSize = "True"
supportsItalic = "True"
supportsNoWrapStyle = "False"
breaksOnInlineElements = "false"
supportsQueryStringInFormAction = "True"
supportsRedirectWithCookie = "True"
supportsSelectFollowingTable = "True"
supportsStyleElement = "True"
supportsTitleElement = "True"
supportsUrlAttributeEncoding = "True"
tables = "True"
</case>
</filter>
</browserCaps>

Mark Gialo

JJ...my email is (e-mail address removed)....if you send me an email, i will reply
with the machine.config file for your review. it still does not work.

Mark Gialo

JJ...i got it to work..turns out that I grabbed a complete browserCap file
from someone who made it available. Thanks for your direction and assistance.

JJ

OK. You should post it here for others (if the person giving it to you does
not have a problem with that).