Blog: Tools for C++ Static Analysis

Francesco

Richard said:
Daniel Pitts <[email protected]> spake the secret code
<[email protected]> thusly:
Apparently you can't read ^^^^^, since you decided to send me a
redundant email copy of your newsgroup post.
Who appointed you usenet god, anyway?

Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

I agree that the definition of the term "spam" is debated, but since
we are posting into clc++, we could take Marshall Cline's FAQ as a
reference.

The broken link that appears on:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.13

[ that would be http://www.killfile.org/faqs/spam.html ]

Could be considered as pointing to:
http://wiki.killfile.org/projects/usenet/faqs/spam/

Taking the above link as reference, Richard's post cannot be
considered spam: that's not EMP and neither it is ECP - the post in
question is also on topic here, even though being just a bunch of
lines containing three links.

Richard's post is fine with me, accusing someone else of posting spam
without any kind of argumentation is not.

Francesco

Jonathan Lee

Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

I'm not sure I would consider him a spammer... It looks like he puts
effort into his articles. With that in mind, it surprises me that he
doesn't take a minute to put more in his newsgroup post. "Don't reply
to me" and "Here's a link" is hardly going to earn him a readership.
Then there was the "Code Smells" thing he posted last month... even
when we _did_ read it and respond he was pretty much like "Go ****
yourself".

--Jonathan

Richard

Pete Becker <[email protected]> spake the secret code
Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

I wrote a blog article on tools for C++ static analysis.

I posted the link here as its on-topic. I read this newsgroup and pay
attention if someone comments on what I post here, so its not a
drive-by link dumping.

Under what crazy logic do you equivocate that with spam?

Richard

Jonathan Lee <[email protected]> spake the secret code
I'm not sure I would consider him a spammer...

If I'm a "spammer", then you are all spammers every one of you.

People seem to think "spam" is "any post I feel like complaining about
for any damned reason".
It looks like he puts
effort into his articles. With that in mind, it surprises me that he
doesn't take a minute to put more in his newsgroup post.

So it was terse. Whoop-dee-doo. Was it not self-evident that it was
a link to blog post about static analysis tools for C++?
"Don't reply
to me"

As was demonstrated last time, you'll reply here even if I ask you to
comment on the blog, so why bother.
and "Here's a link" is hardly going to earn him a readership.

You can read it if you want. If you don't, that's fine by me.
If you do, maybe you'll learn something.
Then there was the "Code Smells" thing he posted last month... even
when we _did_ read it and respond he was pretty much like "Go ****
yourself".

Not true at all, although its nice and friendly of you to try and
characterize my responses to your comments that way.

Jonathan Lee

People seem to think "spam" is "any post I feel like complaining about
for any damned reason".

No... I actually don't mind your little complaints. What people
consider
spam is a single post that discourages discussion. It's arguable that
the whole point of a newsgroup is to _discuss_ things. It is, at
least,
common in clc++.
So it was terse.  Whoop-dee-doo.

Be terse all you want. But it works against the purpose of
your post.
You can read it if you want.  If you don't, that's fine by me.
If you do, maybe you'll learn something.

Maybe I will. And maybe _other_ people would if they didn't dismiss
your posts as spam.
Not true at all, although its nice and friendly of you to try and
characterize my responses to your comments that way.

That's my opinion. If any one else wants to judge your character
for themselves, they can Google for "Richard code smells" and
follow the thread in this newsgroup.

Also, I'm not interested in being your friend. Plonk me if you
feel like it.

On the other hand, friend or not, my basic points have been:

1) You take time to write quality posts (translation: I
appreciate your effort).
2) More people would read your posts and benefit from them if
you took a different approach to clc++.

i.e., constructive criticism. You can take it as constructive,
or criticism. Your choice.

--Jonathan

Richard

Jonathan Lee <[email protected]> spake the secret code
i.e., constructive criticism. You can take it as constructive,
or criticism. Your choice.

Its not constructive criticism when you characterize me as telling
people to "go **** yourself" when I said nothing of the sort. That's
just an insult disguised as attempting to take the high ground.