Book recommendation needed

Atreju

Hi all,

I tried out Sams Teach Yourself Java 6 in 21 Days, and althoug the
method of teaching is really the way I like, as I learned VB from the
same book series, this book is FILLED with errors in syntax,
definitions, and sometimes there are just plain heaps of mess.

I called Sams Publishing, they said they were not aware of any plans
to make a new edition that will correct any errors currently existing.
Therefore, I returned the book and now I am seeking advice for a new
one. I need the kind of "for dummies" approach, but usually I find the
"...for Dummies" titles a bit TOO dummy-ish. I'm not a complete
freshman in programming so I think a dummy book would be a bit too
slow, and also probably wouldn't cover as much as I want.

I want something that will take me step by step through things such as
using various libraries, techniques of building and using objects, and
very very important, I really want something that includes some
tutorials on building a GUI. Thus far so much of the "lessons" type
websites I have seen really cover a lot of ground but one thing they
stay away from is full-fledged GUI applications. I know I have seen
and used many applications that are totally Java built, so I know it
is something people do, maybe not too much, but that's really what I
work with. The kinds of applications I make are usually pretty small,
simple, and designed for a few limited procedures that I need to do
very often but with dynamic decisions. They are almost all GUI-based
with user-input and results produced.

I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone can offer, thanks.

Totti

i used for learning java , the "DATA STRUCTURES & ALGORITHMS IN JAVA"
second edition by Robert Lafore
from SAMS and it is an incridible book, i would suggest it.
concerning GUI and related tasks, i would suggest "JAVA how to
program" 5th edition 'Deitel' from 'Prentice Hall'.
i hope i helped,

Atreju

i used for learning java , the "DATA STRUCTURES & ALGORITHMS IN JAVA"
second edition by Robert Lafore
from SAMS and it is an incridible book, i would suggest it.
concerning GUI and related tasks, i would suggest "JAVA how to
program" 5th edition 'Deitel' from 'Prentice Hall'.
i hope i helped,

Thanks!,
interestingly enough, a friend of mine, a java programmer, recommended
Deitel.

Atreju

i used for learning java , the "DATA STRUCTURES & ALGORITHMS IN JAVA"
second edition by Robert Lafore
from SAMS and it is an incridible book, i would suggest it.
concerning GUI and related tasks, i would suggest "JAVA how to
program" 5th edition 'Deitel' from 'Prentice Hall'.
i hope i helped,

Just one question - you stated "5th Edition" is there something
specific about that one that's specifically appropriate? Because
they're up to 7th now.

Codedigestion

Just one question - you stated "5th Edition" is there something
specific about that one that's specifically appropriate? Because
they're up to 7th now.

Peace,

My personal favorite has been HeadFirst Java:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...inkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0596009208

And, in case you want something a 'bit' more detailed, from the same
authors as Head First Java is the 'SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for
Java 5 Study Guide':
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...inkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0072253606

I recommend the second book after you've read the first one if you
are
new to Java. The authors do a good job of explaining core concepts
in
a simple to understand manner. I've also gone through Deital &
Deital's Java, Murach's Java, and Beginning Java Objects, but found
the books(above two) written by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates the best.

Hope this helps,
God Bless,

shree

Totti

no not indeed it has nothing so special about the edition, but the
book is in general good and i would assume since you mentioned that
they have a 7th it would be better and more updated.

best wishes

Mark Space

Atreju said:
I want something that will take me step by step through things such as
using various libraries, techniques of building and using objects, and
very very important, I really want something that includes some
tutorials on building a GUI. Thus far so much of the "lessons" type
websites I have seen really cover a lot of ground but one thing they
stay away from is full-fledged GUI applications. I know I have seen

We seem to get two or more of these questions each week. It would
really help if you searched the c.l.j.p archives. I'm going to have to
make a template so I can just auto-send an answer...

My preferences:

Learning Java by O'Reilly press

Sun's online tutorial:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Javapassion free online course:
http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/

I found Sun's tutorial hard to comprehend at first. I needed Learning
Java to bridge the gap between basic syntax and effective use. The
online tutorial is great though for those parts that Learning Java
doesn't go into, once you learn the basics of the API and language.

Javapassion is a good online course which forces you to learn, if you do
the homework. Once you learn the basics, the Javapassion course will
re-enforce that knowledge to help you really know it well.