Borderless formatted Printing from ASP.NET

Clint MacDonald

Hello,
I am trying to create a small application that creates labels and I have
purchased a thermal transfer label printer. Now I need to be able to print
the formatted label to the printer without the browser header/footer and
without margins or borders....
Any starting ideas or links to resources that may help me...
Thanks
Clint

Clint MacDonald

Yes, but how do you print the image without the IE borders/page 1 or 1 and
the URL footer?
I guess I am asking how to print from ASP.NET with controlled output.
From my research it is important to note that the printer is on the server
or LAN shared and mapped to the server
I looked at CSS print, but only controlled content, not the print itself.

billmiami2

If you are planning to print from the browser, you will need to control
print borders, headers and footers directly from the browser. For
Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and (I think) Mozilla, go to
File, Page Setup on the main menu and you will see options specifically
for these and other print settings.

I have found HTML opened from the browser to not be very good for
precise printing. Instead, it may pay to generate the labels in
another application and open it from the browser. For example, you
could use Office Web Components (OWC) to generate an Excel spreadsheet
which is formatted precisely for your labels. The spreadsheet can then
be opened in Excel from a link you provide in the browser.

Another approach that I have taken is to generate a comma-delimited
text file from the web application and store it on the server. The
user is then directed to open a MS Word document which is set up for a
mail merge. When the user opens the document, he/she is prompted to
enter a username. From that point, code in the document sets the mail
merge source to the appropriate csv file previously created on the
server. The advantage of this method is that the users (who were all
very experienced in doing MS Word mail merges) can individually change
the formatting to suit their needs. The disadvantage is that the
method is a bit clumsy because it required a few extra steps. Also, MS
Office security must be adjusted on each workstation to allow macros to
run. It does, however, produce perfect mailing label prints.

Bill E.