Browser Testing

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
What did/does MAC IE use? Something one-off?

It's called Tasman - I don't know of any other browsers that use it. Win
IE uses Trident.

Nick Theodorakis

What did/does MAC IE use? Something one-off?

Correct. MS handed development of IE for the Mac to Tantek Celik, who
made the Tasman rendering engine for that browser. AFAIK, it wasn't
ported to any other platform.

It was a very advanced browser for it's day, with better CSS support
than anything else around except for possibly Opera (certainly better
than WinIE5), although it did have a few idiosyncratic bugs. It became
the "default" installed browser for the mac around OS8 or 9, but MS
later abandoned it when it became clear that Apple was going to use
the KHTML-based Safari for the default browser for OSX.

Nick

Jonathan N. Little

Harlan said:

That is the link and the instructions work, I just added MSIE 4.0 (from
an old Win98SE Disk) and MSIE 5.01 (from my Win2K). All working with
MSIE 6.0.2 on my Win2K box. Will add 5.5 as soon as I locate a cd with it.

The article does not list the files required for 4.0, but I got it to
work with just these...

IEXPLORE.EXE
INETCPL.CPL
JSCRIPT.DLL
MSHTML.DLL
SHDOCVW.DLL
URLMON.DLL
VBSCRIPT.DLL
iexplore.exe.local (The zero byte file you create)

Mark Parnell

Blinky the Shark

Nick said:
On 3 Mar 2005 00:13:26 GMT, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
wrote:
Correct. MS handed development of IE for the Mac to Tantek Celik, who
made the Tasman rendering engine for that browser. AFAIK, it wasn't
ported to any other platform.
It was a very advanced browser for it's day, with better CSS support
than anything else around except for possibly Opera (certainly better
than WinIE5), although it did have a few idiosyncratic bugs. It became
the "default" installed browser for the mac around OS8 or 9, but MS
later abandoned it when it became clear that Apple was going to use
the KHTML-based Safari for the default browser for OSX.

Interesting. Thanks, Nick.

http://tantek.com/map.html

logic_earth

It is a good idea to test your site in every possible browser.....on
every os.

IE 4-6
Netscape 7 (gecko - this includes Mozilla)
Netscape 6 (beta-gecko)
Netscape 4
Opera 4-7
Lynx

Those are what I test in on my Winbox. I don't have Linux nor a Mac.
*sigh*

Signed, Thomas M. - GD-Studio.com

Mark Parnell

Previously in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets,alt.html,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,
logic_earth <[email protected]> said:

Please quote the relevant parts of the post you are replying to. I
realise Google groups doesn't make that easy, but it is possible.

[Testing browsers]

Make sure you include both 5 and 5.5 - there were some significant
differences between them, despite the same major version number.
Netscape 7 (gecko - this includes Mozilla)

Only Mozilla 1.0 or 1.1 IIRC. A more recent version would be a good
idea.

Toby Inkster

Mark said:
It's called Tasman - I don't know of any other browsers that use it. Win
IE uses Trident.

Well, the MSN browser for Mac uses Tasman too, but I don't think that
counts.

Toby Inkster

WebMaster said:
But ie on mac just isn't the same version as ie on windows,
regardless of them having a same version number...

That's not it. It's that they're not the same browser. They have 0 lines
of code in common. They are two completely different browsers with the
same name.

Same as if Mozilla had released a browser called "Mozilla Internet
Explorer".

Stephen Poley

It is a good idea to test your site in every possible browser.....on
every os.

Always supposing you have unlimited resources. I suspect you haven't
looked at the contents page of http://browsers.evolt.org/ though.

The idea of standardising markup is that one should not need to do this.
(Do you seriously suppose that makers of telephone exchanges test them
with every model of telephone in use? Of course they don't. Yet
telephone exchanges manage a far higher degree of universality of access
than websites.)

Chris Sharman

Toby said:

I didn't get on with Debian (couldn't get my winmodem to work) - maybe
it's better now.

Currently using Suse 9.1 Personal (dual boot with w2k) - pretty good -
got everything except VPN working, and firefox & thunderbird share files
with their windows counterparts (with a little fiddling), so that
whichever OS I boot I've got the same mail & bookmarks. Kind of
redundant though, since I haven't bothered booting windows in months.

Chris

WebMaster

Toby Inkster said:
That's not it. It's that they're not the same browser. They have 0 lines
of code in common. They are two completely different browsers with the
same name.

Never looked at the code, actually :)

Rudy

WebMaster

Toby Inkster said:
WebMaster said:
only thing is, [Opera]'s not free :)

Browsers are still one arena where the best things aren't free.

I'll settle for the next best thing then :)
Besides that, I've tried it once (several years ago, that is), and I just
didn't like it... I like firefox more...

Rudy

Carolyn Marenger

Depends a bit on what your site is, but probably for now, yes. At least
to make sure the site is readable. I wouldn't worry about getting the
layout beautiful. Note that 5.5 and 5.0 are rather different. 5.0 makes
a pig's ear of CSS, 5.5 manages to get a bit more of it right.

But note also that there is no single browser called IE 6.0. There is a
host of browsers calling themselves IE 6.0, all with a different set of
bugs. I've had a page which looked fine in my copy of IE 6.0 display two
different bugs in the browsers used by two colleagues, both of which
also claimed to be IE 6.0.

So, if I understand you correctly, IE6 isn't. It is actually IESixxes...
Figures. Sure am glad I avoid the monopoly.

Carolyn Marenger

Interesting... I don't suppose anyone has any clue as to why the
rendering for the same program would be different between the Mac and
the PC version.

Don

It might have something to do with the numerous versions MS puts out...
multiple IE6s for windows alone. If they do that, how could they make the
'same' one for another OS?

Carolyn