Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

mrstephengross

Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
cygwin is running within a shell?)

Anyway, it appears to 'configure' fine, but gcc reports a compile error
when it gets to posixmodule.c. Here's the first few lines of the error
message:

==============================
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
-I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o
Modules/posixmodule.o
Modules/posixmodule.c:308: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_ttyname':
Modules/posixmodule.c:1162: warning: implicit declaration of function
`ttyname'
Modules/posixmodule.c:1162: warning: assignment makes pointer from
integer without a cast
Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_mkdir':
Modules/posixmodule.c:1791: too many arguments to function `mkdir'
==============================

I've researched this a bit, and it sounds like cygwin gets all confused
about system includes and so on. Is there a good, comprehensive
explanation somewhere of how to make this all work? (Most of the
threads I've found are helpful, but not complete unfortunately).

Thanks,
--Steve ([email protected])

Jason Tishler

Steve,

Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
cygwin is running within a shell?)

Use "uname -r". What version are you running?

Jason

Jason Tishler

Steve,

Uname tells me:

$ uname -r
1.5.18(0.132/4/2)

Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?

$ cygcheck -c cygwin

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem under Cygwin 1.5.18.

BTW, can you use the pre-built Python 2.4.1 that is part of the standard
Cygwin distribution?

Jason

Stephen Gross

Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?
$ cygcheck -c cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
cygwin 1.5.18-1 OK
BTW, can you use the pre-built Python 2.4.1 that is part of the standard
Cygwin distribution?

Nope--I need to do a custom python build for a very specific situation...

Thanks,
--Steve

Jason Tishler

Steve,

$ cygcheck -c cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
cygwin 1.5.18-1 OK

Try reinstalling Cygwin 1.5.18 or upgrading to 1.5.19.

Jason