Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

Discussion in 'Python' started by mrstephengross, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
    version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
    cygwin is running within a shell?)

    Anyway, it appears to 'configure' fine, but gcc reports a compile error
    when it gets to posixmodule.c. Here's the first few lines of the error
    message:

    ==============================
    gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
    -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o
    Modules/posixmodule.o
    Modules/posixmodule.c:308: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_ttyname':
    Modules/posixmodule.c:1162: warning: implicit declaration of function
    `ttyname'
    Modules/posixmodule.c:1162: warning: assignment makes pointer from
    integer without a cast
    Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_mkdir':
    Modules/posixmodule.c:1791: too many arguments to function `mkdir'
    ==============================

    I've researched this a bit, and it sounds like cygwin gets all confused
    about system includes and so on. Is there a good, comprehensive
    explanation somewhere of how to make this all work? (Most of the
    threads I've found are helpful, but not complete unfortunately).

    Thanks,
    --Steve ()

    mrstephengross, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Steve,

    Use "uname -r". What version are you running?

    Jason

    Jason Tishler, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Uname tells me:

    $ uname -r
    1.5.18(0.132/4/2)

    --Steve

    Stephen Gross, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Steve,

    Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?

    $ cygcheck -c cygwin

    Sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem under Cygwin 1.5.18.

    BTW, can you use the pre-built Python 2.4.1 that is part of the standard
    Cygwin distribution?

    Jason

    Jason Tishler, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?
    $ cygcheck -c cygwin
    Cygwin Package Information
    Package Version Status
    cygwin 1.5.18-1 OK
    Cygwin distribution?

    Nope--I need to do a custom python build for a very specific situation...

    Thanks,
    --Steve

    Stephen Gross, Feb 21, 2006
  6. Steve,

    Try reinstalling Cygwin 1.5.18 or upgrading to 1.5.19.

    Jason

    Jason Tishler, Feb 21, 2006