Building sparc64 32/64-bit Python

Stefan Bellon

Hi,

I'm trying to build a Sun Solaris Version of Python from the source so
that both, 32-bit and 64-bit libraries are present.

I can successfully build a 32-bit version in one directory and a 64-bit
version in another directory. What I'd like to do is to build a version
that has the 64-bit library in a sparcv9 directory but shares the other
Python libraries that are ELF-code independent.

Is this possible or do I really have to install two complete but
separate Pythons although most of the files are the same?

Diez B. Roggisch

Stefan said:
Hi,

I'm trying to build a Sun Solaris Version of Python from the source so
that both, 32-bit and 64-bit libraries are present.

I can successfully build a 32-bit version in one directory and a 64-bit
version in another directory. What I'd like to do is to build a version
that has the 64-bit library in a sparcv9 directory but shares the other
Python libraries that are ELF-code independent.

Is this possible or do I really have to install two complete but
separate Pythons although most of the files are the same?

It should be possible to create a independent site-packages directory that
contains the python-library and then tinker with both installations setting
that directory as part of the python-path (look at *pth-files in the
site-packages directory to get an idea how that works)

Another question is if that's advisable. It certainly won't become part of
the standard installation scripts, and in the end you save how much - 8MB
or so?

Diez

Stefan Bellon

Stefan Bellon wrote:

It should be possible to create a independent site-packages directory
that contains the python-library and then tinker with both
installations setting that directory as part of the python-path (look
at *pth-files in the site-packages directory to get an idea how that
works)

Well, I didn't want to to tinker with installation files. I hoped that
there was a way to configure it accordingly.
Another question is if that's advisable. It certainly won't become
part of the standard installation scripts, and in the end you save
how much - 8MB or so?

I thought it would be a "more correct" way of installing it. GCC (and
others) install their libraries in prefix/lib and prefix/lib/sparcv9 as
well without needing two separate installations, therefore I was
wondering whether the same can be achieved with Python.

But if this is not possible, then I'll just go for python and python64
as separated installations.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Is this possible or do I really have to install two complete but
separate Pythons although most of the files are the same?

That configuration is not explicitly supported in the build process.

Notice that the "Python libraries" are not entirely platform
independent. On Sparc64, the byte code files may be different
from the byte code files on Sparc, if the source code contains
integer literals above 2**31. Such literals would be marshaled
as TYPE_LONG (l) on Sparc32, but as TYPE_INT64 (I) on Sparc64.

Regards,
Martin