Perl 32-bit vs 64-bit question

snorble

When I have used Python 64-bit I have run into problems (third party
libraries not working, etc). So I just use Python 32-bit on everything
and have no problems. Are there any similar problems with Perl? On a
64-bit computer, am I better off with 64-bit, or better off running 32-
bit Perl on everything? I'm looking to use Perl on Windows systems for
administration purposes. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Michael Vilain

snorble said:
When I have used Python 64-bit I have run into problems (third party
libraries not working, etc). So I just use Python 32-bit on everything
and have no problems. Are there any similar problems with Perl? On a
64-bit computer, am I better off with 64-bit, or better off running 32-
bit Perl on everything? I'm looking to use Perl on Windows systems for
administration purposes. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

I've always heard that a 64-bit executable can't load 32-bit shared
libraries. I may be wrong with that in MacOS in that 10.6 (Snow
Leopard) is 32-bit but can run 64-bit executables on a suitable
processor. Windows 7 has two flavors--32-bit and 64-bit. The drivers
have to be the same but I think programs don't matter as much unless you
attempt to mix 32 and 64-bit libraries.

Mixing compiled shared libraries is the problem. I don't think this
problem is only with Python. But I could be wrong.