C++ Interview questions for large C++ projects

tumour

Dear All,
I have an upcoming interview with a company and the position involves
dealing with C++ projects (financial software mostly). I will be
working in a team responsible for updating, improving, and maintaing
the company's software.

In the phone screening they asked me about abstract base classses,
difference between malloc and new and about virtual destructors, all of
which went well and they recommended me to brush up on C and C++ for
the next interview which they said will be very technical.

I would rate myself a 4/10 (where 11 == Bjarne Stroustrup) and I can
usually read and understand most C++ code (in gnu libraries etc.). I
would like to get in shape for the interview though, and lately I was
going through gotw and some sites like that, and I also hope this forum
will be great to ask for help as well. I only need some
hints/suggestions as to what questions might be asked in an interview
like this so I can be better prepared.

thanks in advance
D. Osi

Shark

I would rate myself a 4/10 (where 11 == Bjarne Stroustrup) and I can
usually read and understand most C++ code (in gnu libraries etc.). I
would like to get in shape for the interview though, and lately I was
going through gotw and some sites like that, and I also hope this forum
will be great to ask for help as well. I only need some
hints/suggestions as to what questions might be asked in an interview
like this so I can be better prepared.

Some questions I was asked for an internship:

* write a skeleton string class, so it has some of the common
functionality of STL string ( operator<<, substr etc.) without using
the STL!
* write a function to print a spiral matrix without using the STL.
* explain what this code does: {.........complicated pointer stuff, had
to do with doubly linked lists......}
* What does volatile do, whats the use of const, but sure you probably
know this stuff already.

Shouldn't stuff like this be obvious?!!!

Ian Collins

[...]

You're well OT here. You know what you know and the interviewer could
ask anything....