    Scott W Guest

    the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
    wait until then or just get the currently available version?

    Scott W, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Scott W

    osmium Guest

    I would not wait, I suppose the new edition covers C99 and there are very
    few actual compilers for that anyway.

    osmium, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
    before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
    once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
    the first, if you're honest.

    Andrew Poelstra, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    well, i've just ordered C Programming off amazon, it's not stocked in
    town. i've already got K&R but it's proving to be a tough read (thus the
    reason i'm looking at C Programming). like osmium said, it'll cover C99
    and from what i've learned, not even GCC fully supports that so i
    suppose i've not really got anything to lose. cheers for the advice
    anyway ;)

    Scott W, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Scott W

    Al Balmer Guest

    Slow down. K&R is not designed to be read at a page a minute. Other
    books use a thousand pages to say the same thing. With K&R, read a
    paragraph and think about it. The subject matter isn't any easier if
    that paragraph is turned into a dozen pages.

    Al Balmer, Jun 14, 2006
  6. Next year? I wouldn't count on it. His site originally said "early
    2005", when I asked him about this in July 2005 he indicated that work
    on the book was progressing slowly and that the new edition would be
    available early 2006 and he updated the site. Now the site states that
    the book is only 75% complete and will be out in 2007, it may be but I
    wouldn't hold my breath. The first version of the book is very good
    (and very expensive), I wouldn't wait if I were you, the first edition
    is a great book to learn from and it is pretty easy to learn the stuff
    that is new in C99 afterwards.

    Robert Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Jun 14, 2006
  7. Scott W

    jacob navia Guest

    This is wrong.

    gcc has a very good C99 implementation.
    lcc-win32 (under windows) has most of the C99 functionality

    Comeau C99 implementation is 100% compliant.

    And there are many others: intel, etc.

    jacob navia, Jun 14, 2006
  8. Scott W

    Jordan Abel Guest

    It's unclear to me what's "dishonest" about returning a book you've
    read. Can you explain your reasoning?

    Jordan Abel, Jun 15, 2006
  9. That's basically reading a book for free. Like returning an empty potato
    chip bag.

    That was my reasoning, but then I remembered the concept of a library. I've
    really got to get some sleep. :)

    Andrew Poelstra, Jun 15, 2006
  10. Scott W

    Al Balmer Guest

    Libraries deal in used books - they don't have to try to sell it to
    someone else. Besides, we've already paid for the library copy.

    Al Balmer, Jun 15, 2006
  11. No it isn't.
    gcc is not a C99 compiler.
    lcc-win32 is not a C99 compiler.
    It is one of the few. There are many compilers that support *parts* of
    C99 but only a small handful that are actually fully compliant (and
    hence C99 compilers).

    Robert Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Jun 15, 2006
  12. Scott W

    jacob navia Guest

    Robert Gamble a écrit :

    According to your criteria then, there are no c++ compilers either,
    since in a survey done by the c/c++ user's journal there were almost no
    compilers that had 100% compliance witn ansi c++.

    The problems of the gcc c99 implementation are minimal, and stating that
    "it is not c99" is just not true.

    jacob navia, Jun 15, 2006
  13. Perhaps. I don't know enough about the survey or about C++ compiler
    to comment.
    In gcc, a number of C99 features either have not been implemented at
    all or have not been implemented in accordance with the standard.
    That might be good enough for some purposes, but not for all. If I
    happen to have a C99 program that depends on extended identifiers,
    inline functions, variable-length arrays, complex numbers, or any of
    several other features, I can't reliably use gcc to compile it.
    (Reference: <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.)

    The *only* criterion for judging whether the missing features are
    significant is whether they're needed by the code you need to compile.
    If you don't happen to use those features, good for you, but that's
    not necessarily going to be of any relevance to anyone else.

    Compare this to the general level of conformance to the C90 standard,
    where I can write a program that uses whatever features I like from
    the 1990 ISO C standard and count on being able to compile and execute
    it correctly on nearly any platform. That's what conformance looks
    like, and that's what language standards are for.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 15, 2006
  14. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    his real name is K.N. King :p

    Scott W, Jun 15, 2006
  15. Scott W

    I.M. !Knuth Guest

    It is a good book, and it is expensive. Don't overlook browsing in used
    bookstores (or abebooks.com -- I just checked: they have a copy for US$23)
    if you find the price prohibitive. I picked up my copy, in near mint
    condition, at a library booksale for a mere 25 cents (because it's
    softcover -- hardcovers go for $1). I had no idea it was such a gem until
    I got it home (and apparently some local comp-sci student had no idea what
    they were donating away...).

    I.M. !Knuth, Jul 18, 2006