    compatible with 1.5? I was not able to google up any.

    Ciao

    ....Jochen

    Jochen Riekhof, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Jochen Riekhof

    Roedy Green Guest

    Almost every Sun Java class warns you that code between versions is
    incompatible. Serialization is for temporary storage only. For long
    term storage you need your own object that persists the crucial
    parameters about the Component. This will be considerably smaller than
    Sun's object which is mostly full of defaults.

    Roedy Green, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Jochen Riekhof

    Roedy Green Guest

    I just changed some code that persisted BigInteger to avoid such
    problems by using a DataOutputStream instead.

    On the other paw, one thing ObjectStreams do is automatically check
    the format for you. With DataInputStream, you can eat any stream of
    bytes reading totally the wrong file and never know it.

    You had better put some signature/version information at the head.

    Roedy Green, Sep 18, 2005