Can anyone help install Boost on Mac OSX (10.6)

Steve555

Hi,

I've made several unsuccessful attempts to install Boost on OSX. I've
tried the automated install version from darwinports.com, and tried
doing it manually from other sources (no pun intended). Either nothing
happens (it seems nothing gets installed despite terminal churning
away for 10 minutes), or it gets installed badly and xcode goes
mental.

It became such a confusing mess that I deleted/uninstalled all
references to it, so I can't really report exactly what problems I
had.

From time to time when asking questions in groups, I'm inspired to
have another attempt, but knowing very little about unix and makefiles
etc., I'm really having no luck.

I realise it's a big request, but are there any OSX users out there
who could talk me through it, from
• getting which exact version from which exact URL (even this is
confusing with so many versions)
and if necessary
• telling terminal what to do!

Many thanks

Steve

Steve555

Hi,

I've made several unsuccessful attempts to install Boost on OSX. I've
tried the automated install version from darwinports.com, and tried
doing it manually from other sources (no pun intended). Either nothing
happens (it seems nothing gets installed despite terminal churning
away for 10 minutes), or it gets installed badly and xcode goes
mental.

It became such a confusing mess that I deleted/uninstalled all
references to it, so I can't really report exactly what problems I
had.

From time to time when asking questions in groups, I'm inspired to
have another attempt, but knowing very little about unix and makefiles
etc., I'm really having no luck.

I realise it's a big request, but are there any OSX users out there
who could talk me through it, from
• getting which exact version from which exact URL (even this is
confusing with so many versions)
and if necessary
• telling terminal what to do!

Many thanks

Steve

P.S. Googling, it seems many others are having the same problem, with
tons of conflicting advice being given.
P.P.S. Also from Googling, I can clarify that I only need it to work
in 10.4 onwards, and only on Intel (not concerned about it running on
G5/PPC platforms, which seems to be another issue)

Jeff Flinn

Steve555 said:
P.S. Googling, it seems many others are having the same problem, with
tons of conflicting advice being given.
P.P.S. Also from Googling, I can clarify that I only need it to work
in 10.4 onwards, and only on Intel (not concerned about it running on
G5/PPC platforms, which seems to be another issue)

You will get excellent help from the boost build mailing list which you
can join here:

After subscribing you can access it as a newsgroup via gmane.org.

Jeff