Can anyone recommend a source for information on debug symbols?

markscottwright

I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book
form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

Thomas Hawtin

markscottwright said:
I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book

It's all in the JVM spec.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#79868
form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

Not as far as I know. Editors tend to do that sort of thing without full
compilation. I'm sure it'd be quite easy to do from class files with,
say, ObjectWeb ASM.

Tom Hawtin

Roedy Green

I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book
form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

check out JPDA. It in an interface for people want to write source
code debuggers.