Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress test?

A.M-SG

Hi,

Can I use Microsoft Application Center Test for Web Service stress test? Is
it a right tool to do web service stress test?

Do we use the same tool in VS 2005?

Thank you,
Alan

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alan,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
As for the stress testing ASP.NET webservice question you mentioned,
generally we have serveral means to stress test it and ACT is really one of
the available options. Here is a MS kb article mentioned on this:

#HOW TO: Test ASP.NET Web Services with the Web Application Stress Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815160

The KB article mentioned using ACT or WAS to stress testing the asp.net
webservice through the default test web page. And the default test page is
send HTTP get message (not SOAP message).

However, since webservice is a no page based service, which just reply the
HTTP protocol to transfer SOAP message, for real world scenario, our
clientside won't use browser and HTTp get message to call web service , but
use proxy class and SOAP message, it won't reflect real world result.
Also, as we known, ACT is mainly target web page(UI based) stress testing.

So if you want real world targeted stress test on webservice, I'd suggest
you manually create some simply uility class together with the .NET
generated client proxy to test the web service. Stress on the default
asp.net webservice test page can only somewhat reflect the webserver's
strength ,but not exact the real word result.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "A.M-SG" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress test?
| Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:19:20 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Hi,
|
| Can I use Microsoft Application Center Test for Web Service stress test?
Is
| it a right tool to do web service stress test?
|
| Do we use the same tool in VS 2005?
|
| Thank you,
| Alan

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alan,

How are you doing on this or have you got any further progress? If there're
anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:10:31 GMT
| Subject: RE: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress
test?
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Hi Alan,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| As for the stress testing ASP.NET webservice question you mentioned,
| generally we have serveral means to stress test it and ACT is really one
of
| the available options. Here is a MS kb article mentioned on this:
|
| #HOW TO: Test ASP.NET Web Services with the Web Application Stress Tool
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815160
|
| The KB article mentioned using ACT or WAS to stress testing the asp.net
| webservice through the default test web page. And the default test page
is
| send HTTP get message (not SOAP message).
|
| However, since webservice is a no page based service, which just reply
the
| HTTP protocol to transfer SOAP message, for real world scenario, our
| clientside won't use browser and HTTp get message to call web service ,
but
| use proxy class and SOAP message, it won't reflect real world result.
| Also, as we known, ACT is mainly target web page(UI based) stress testing.
|
| So if you want real world targeted stress test on webservice, I'd suggest
| you manually create some simply uility class together with the .NET
| generated client proxy to test the web service. Stress on the default
| asp.net webservice test page can only somewhat reflect the webserver's
| strength ,but not exact the real word result.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "A.M-SG" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress test?
| | Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:19:20 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | Can I use Microsoft Application Center Test for Web Service stress
test?
| Is
| | it a right tool to do web service stress test?
| |
| | Do we use the same tool in VS 2005?
| |
| | Thank you,
| | Alan
| |
| |
| |

A.M-SG

Thank you Steven. The kb article was great.

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Alan,

How are you doing on this or have you got any further progress? If
there're
anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:10:31 GMT
| Subject: RE: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress
test?
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Hi Alan,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| As for the stress testing ASP.NET webservice question you mentioned,
| generally we have serveral means to stress test it and ACT is really one
of
| the available options. Here is a MS kb article mentioned on this:
|
| #HOW TO: Test ASP.NET Web Services with the Web Application Stress Tool
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815160
|
| The KB article mentioned using ACT or WAS to stress testing the asp.net
| webservice through the default test web page. And the default test page
is
| send HTTP get message (not SOAP message).
|
| However, since webservice is a no page based service, which just reply
the
| HTTP protocol to transfer SOAP message, for real world scenario, our
| clientside won't use browser and HTTp get message to call web service ,
but
| use proxy class and SOAP message, it won't reflect real world result.
| Also, as we known, ACT is mainly target web page(UI based) stress
testing.

| So if you want real world targeted stress test on webservice, I'd
suggest
| you manually create some simply uility class together with the .NET
| generated client proxy to test the web service. Stress on the default
| asp.net webservice test page can only somewhat reflect the webserver's
| strength ,but not exact the real word result.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "A.M-SG" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress
test?
| | Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:19:20 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | Can I use Microsoft Application Center Test for Web Service stress
test?
| Is
| | it a right tool to do web service stress test?
| |
| | Do we use the same tool in VS 2005?
| |
| | Thank you,
| | Alan
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Alan,

Good luck!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
| From: "A.M-SG" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress
test?
| Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:51:28 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Thank you Steven. The kb article was great.
|
| | > Hi Alan,
| >
| > How are you doing on this or have you got any further progress? If
| > there're
| > anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support
| >
| > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:10:31 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Can I use Application Center Test for web service stress
| > test?
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
| > |
| > | Hi Alan,
| > |
| > | Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > | As for the stress testing ASP.NET webservice question you mentioned,
| > | generally we have serveral means to stress test it and ACT is really
one
| > of
| > | the available options. Here is a MS kb article mentioned on this:
| > |
| > | #HOW TO: Test ASP.NET Web Services with the Web Application Stress
Tool
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815160
| > |
| > | The KB article mentioned using ACT or WAS to stress testing the
asp.net
| > | webservice through the default test web page. And the default test
page
| > is
| > | send HTTP get message (not SOAP message).
| > |
| > | However, since webservice is a no page based service, which just
reply
| > the
| > | HTTP protocol to transfer SOAP message, for real world scenario, our
| > | clientside won't use browser and HTTp get message to call web service
,
| > but
| > | use proxy class and SOAP message, it won't reflect real world result.
| > | Also, as we known, ACT is mainly target web page(UI based) stress
| > testing.
| > |
| > | So if you want real world targeted stress test on webservice, I'd
| > suggest
| > | you manually create some simply uility class together with the .NET
| > | generated client proxy to test the web service. Stress on the
default
| > | asp.net webservice test page can only somewhat reflect the webserver's
| > | strength ,but not exact the real word result.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |