Can Javascript increase the security of the data one a webpage?

Daz

Hi.

Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to word the title for this
thread. My question is this:

Say I have a page that is generated totally dynamically by Javascript.
The code will generate several other pages using onClick events. Let's
say I had a normal piece of text on the page, made to look like a link
(without using the href attribute), and a user clicked on it.
<a onClick="show_contact_info()">Show contact information</a>

Would this prevent the majority of crawlers that search the web for
E-mail addesses from accessing this the information on this page? I am
not sure if a bot can follow an onClick event, or even read an E-mail
address from the actual JavaScript code itself.

Can anyone suggest the best way to store contact information in a way
that it wouldn't be accessable by the majority of crawlers, but
preferably without having to prompt the user for verification? I accept
that some crawlers may be advanced enough to do such things, which is
why I am mainly interested in preventing the majority of crawlers.

If I do need to get the user to confirm a code or something, then I am
happy to do so, but I thought this might make for an interesting
discussion.

Best wishes.

Daz.

Randy Webb

Daz said the following on 11/8/2006 1:24 PM:
[...]

Use a form, submit the form, let the server send the email. The contact
info is secure. If they want other information, they can give there own
email address, submit the form and the server sends them an email with
the information.