Can Norton antivirus cause intermittent Viewstate errors?

Ray Stevens

We are having a maddening problem with random "validation of viewstate MAC
failed" errors, even if the web farm is shut down to a single server. It now
susepect that Norton antivirus is causing application pool recylcing on IIS
6.

Does this sound plausible... anyone else seeing this problem?

Mark Fitzpatrick

I've heard of this before if Norton is allowed to scan all directories since
it could affect the web.config of a directory (causing the app to recycle)
and/or the ASP.Net temp directories. With luck, someone who has been able to
directly counter this will be able to comment more on the steps they took,
but yes, it is a very plausible occurance.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Ray Booysen

Ray said:
We are having a maddening problem with random "validation of viewstate MAC
failed" errors, even if the web farm is shut down to a single server. It now
susepect that Norton antivirus is causing application pool recylcing on IIS
6.

Does this sound plausible... anyone else seeing this problem?
Well, have you tried shutting down Norton on a dev box to test?