Can someone tell me what's making this page break in Firefox?

dorayme

http://www.tssarcade.com/adventure/caligula/index.html

Looks okay for me in IE7, but in just about every other browser the
text keeps spreading out way too far.

This is not obviously a description of anything I can see.
I'm really dying to fix this
problem and don't know where to start. Thanks for any help in advance!

Don't try to control widths of text by using <br>s because, for a start,
it will look bad when the user increases his text size (some text will
still wrap and leave huge gaps in the text. See for yourself, in FF go
to View menu and Text size and increase it.

Too many other problems to mention for now...

midori0x

This is not obviously a description of anything I can see.

Don't try to control widths of text by using <br>s because, for a start,
it will look bad when the user increases his text size (some text will
still wrap and leave huge gaps in the text. See for yourself, in FF go
to View menu and Text size and increase it.

Too many other problems to mention for now...

Okay thank you very much for the tip, I'm looking at some css
formatting tutorials now that I hope will help.

dorayme

Okay thank you very much for the tip, I'm looking at some css
formatting tutorials now that I hope will help.

That is good. In that case, I will suggest a few things. In no
particular order.

* Forget anything you read that suggests that you should be using
anything but a strict 4.01 doctype. For the moment, stick with this for
everything.

* Look at <http://htmldog.com/>

* I recall that your page had problems with character encoding. I
suggest you stick with utf-8. Perhaps you might care to look at:

<http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset>

There are people here that know a lot about this and might help you.

* Try very hard to remove stuff in the html that you can hive off to an
external CSS stylesheet. This allows you to separate the style from the
content to a large extent and will make your work easier to manage. I
recall you sticking in background images via the html in table tags...
Use class or id and assign the images for backgrounds in your CSS.

* Just for a few weeks at least till you have a better grasp of things,
put your Dreamweaver aside (I think you are using this, no?). Get a good
free text editor. If you are on a Mac, use BBEdit or TextWrangler.

midori0x

[...]

Yes, I've been using Dreamweaver while I have been learning more about
html everyday. The information I have gotten already is like a
treasure trove to me. I really appreciate help, some of this stuff
would have me up at night. lol :)

midori0x

Yes, I've been using Dreamweaver while I have been learning more about
html everyday. The information I have gotten already is like a
treasure trove to me. I really appreciate help, some of this stuff
would have me up at night. lol :)

Wow, I only corrected the undefined font issues and already I see the
site isn't looking as broken. The crazy looking gap has narrowed, but
are still quite noticeable, back to work!

midori0x

Looks okay for me in IE7, but in just about every other browser the
text keeps spreading out way too far. [...]
Which text?
The text that's under the image to the right, the gap isn't as big now
though since I made a few changes with the help I got.

You have not removed the <br>s from the text starting with "Adult Swim's
game". Looks like dog poo.
Your use of tables for layout has come back to haunt you on this one.
(Even in my darkest days of yore did I ever attempt a layout this complex
with tables.)
The large gap between the bottom of the Viva Caligula image and the
"Viva Caligula never forgets a friend" text is due to a rowspan somewhere.
Likely changing a rowspan will have a cascade effect on your layout where
you fix one thing and it breaks another.
Good luck.

I highly recommend the Web Developer extension
<http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/>.

Yeah, I'm still sifting through the links posted and stuff I'm reading
on google. When you say tables are naughty, do you mean I should do a
css layout? I was looking into that earlier when I wanted to create a
more fluid page for visitors.